well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Perfect Wedding - Not! Warning: not for the faint of heart

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Perfect Wedding - Not! Warning: not for the faint of heart
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Hesitated to send this in (likewise about forwarding to sons) but amusement and Schadenfreude won out over nausea.

I really can't think of a more catastrophic outcome to dream wedding plans, especially considering the expense spent to make it picture perfect.

Beware though, as the images are apt to be indelible - at least, they are certainly are for mwe

hide omg facepalm

Groom was a "sport", but...

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I read it and laughed. But I have a feeling there was a lot of embellishment to the story. Also struck by the storyteller's utter lack of compassion. And found it weird that he or she was tasked with assisting a sick bride rather than her own family and friends.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I stopped reading fairly early in the story. One, I don't need to read about excrement, we have enough of that in the news coverage of the US presidential election.

Two, none of the story (or what I read of it) would have happened if the bride had an ounce of body positivity in her. No weird diet beverages, no shapewear, and there's no story.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18506 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I stopped reading fairly early in the story. One, I don't need to read about excrement, we have enough of that in the news coverage of the US presidential election.

Two, none of the story (or what I read of it) would have happened if the bride had an ounce of body positivity in her. No weird diet beverages, no shapewear, and there's no story.

None of it would have happened if she weren't a perfectionist. But people are perfectionists and women are body shamed in our society. I felt bad for her if this actually did happen. Body negativity and perfectionism are both symptoms of self loathing, which is a much harder condition to live with than getting sick at your wedding.

Now as someone who happens to own a barn, had it been me, I would have gone down to one of the stalls on the ground floor, peeled everything off, cleaned myself up as best I could, put on some borrowed clothes, and returned to enjoy my wedding, leaving the whole mess of the dress to be put in a hazmat bag and dealt with later. I would have forgotten all about the arbitrary schedule and putting on a show for other people. Really, the whole thing is so sad. Why didnt she appeal to her new husband for help first? Or her mother? Or some of her girlfriends. Why did t he show have to go on? Why was it a show? Who was it for? What distorted values and ways of thinking about oneself and others!

I feel deeply sorry for the bride that she doesn't love herself better and doesn't believe in the love of her guests for her.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel deeply sorry for the bride that she doesn't love herself better and doesn't believe in the love of her guests for her.

This. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18506 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Now as someone who happens to own a barn, had it been me, I would have gone down to one of the stalls on the ground floor, peeled everything off, cleaned myself up as best I could, put on some borrowed clothes, and returned to enjoy my wedding, leaving the whole mess of the dress to be put in a hazmat bag and dealt with later.

Good idea, maybe, but a bride willing to pay 15K for her dress might be less cavalier about such a substitution.

Besides which with all the undergarments, stays and hoops it wasn't a dress she could dress herself in alone (or undress, I assume).

The whole thing is quite beyond my imagination (speaking as someone who wore a silk dress I bought in Paris for little over $100 on a stopover from Israel to California. That's where my wedding took place in a tiny grad student room. We emptied it of furniture to fit the few dozen guests, offering them pillows to sit on.)

But just trying to imagine her very different mindset.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course. And had it been me, the dress wouldn't have cost anything like that. Mine was a grey silk mid-calf shift covered with cream colored cabbage roses that I might have paid $115 for out of the J.Peterman catalogue. I wore matching fresh roses in my hair. We had 7 guests and had it in the living room of a ranch house in a friend's cattle ranch. Our other expenses included the photographer, the tiramisu cake, dinner at the local hot springs restaurant for all our guests, my bouquet, mr. Pique's tuxedo jacket rental, and a gift for our hosts, who supplied the champagne as well--a gift certificate to their favorite steak house. I bet we didn't spend $500 for the whole thing.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
1. File this under "fake news."
2. As best as is reasonable, try to have backups for everything; backup plans, backup dresses, etc.
3. For life's important events where appearances are important and you know it may be logistically difficult for you to access the toilet for extended periods of time, wear a diaper as part of your backup plan. Thanks to modern material science, state of the art diapers these days are a lot less bulky and a lot more absorbent than the diapers of old, to the point where it is possible to wear a diaper and still appear stylish and fashionable. Hooray science!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is possible to wear a diaper and still appear stylish and fashionable.

Source? Vogue, perhaps? Big Grin

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time believing this story. For starters, how many of us have gambled and lost in this particular way? as sober adults?

For me, the answer is a resounding zero. They're not saying she had some sort of a disease.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m with nina. I think it’s fake. (And I couldn’t get past the first few lines, I hate stories like this). Somebody made this up or seriously embellished it for views on whatever they posted it on.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I’m with nina. I think it’s fake. (And I couldn’t get past the first few lines, I hate stories like this). Somebody made this up or seriously embellished it for views on whatever they posted it on.

Maybe so.

I was most unfavorably struck by the inhumane attitude of the alleged wedding planner telling the story with immense scorn and disgust.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Another reason why I think it's fake. A wedding planner relies on their reputation. Why risk it by writing this mean-spirited story on social media?

Also, it doesn't help that the main plot point is very reminiscent of the movie, "The Bridesmaids."

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. That it's fake or ridiculously embellished was my first thought. My other comments were along the lines of "but if it were ttue..."