well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Gradual Disappearance of Chinese Restaurants

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gradual Disappearance of Chinese Restaurants
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
The reasons are unsurprising. The second generation goes to college and becomes professionals, and there's no one to take over. The future seems to be Pei Wei and P.F. Chang's.

https://link.axios.com/click/1...0e0348b462aB8476d673

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
The best ones here are always first generation immigrants. Great stuff.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Earlier-generation Chinese cooks tended to modify their cuisine to suit the ingredients and tastes favored by the country they immigrated to. Now you can find regional Chinese cuisines, too -- but maybe only in bigger cities.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of DeweyCMH
posted Hide Post
Well, there are Chinese restaurants, and there are Chinese restaurants. I haven't noticed any shortage of the typical retail strip "Americanized Chinese" places, but the good, authentic Chinese places can be hard to find sometimes. Those places generally have two menus - a more basic one for the general trade, and the more authentic one that Chinese patrons generally use. I think it's great that now, when the Violin Maker and I go into a good authentic place, they automatically hand us the authentic menus instead if the "roundeye menus." Smiler

Posts: 374 | Registered: 11 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post