well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Fourth Wave? CDC's Rochelle Walensky's "Feeling of impending doom"

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fourth Wave? CDC's Rochelle Walensky's "Feeling of impending doom"
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
From Bloomberg's evening bulletin (can't link it as it's only in my email)

quote:
U.S. President Joe Biden said 90% of U.S. adults will be eligible to get a Covid-19 vaccine in three weeks and the number of pharmacies where shots are available will soon double. The announcement came as the federal vaccination effort took on a tone of increasing desperation as more states loosen restrictions in the face of rising infections—and the first signs appear of the torrent of hospitalizations and death that usually follows. Over the weekend, Trump administration health official Deborah Birx stated that except for the 100,000 Americans who died in the first wave, the massive U.S. death toll—which now stands at 550,000—could have been “decreased substantially” but for mistakes by former President Donald Trump and his aides, states and local officials. On Monday, Biden pleaded with governors to reinstate mask requirements as variants accelerate infection. Rochelle Walensky, head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fought back tears as she outlined the warning signals that may augur a fourth wave. . The seven-day average for new daily cases is now almost at 60,000, up 10% from the prior week. Hospitalizations are also up, to about 4,800 a day from 4,600 a week earlier. Deaths, a lagging indicator, have also started to rise again. “I’m going to reflect on the recurring feeling I have of impending doom,” Walensky said. “Right now I’m scared.”

Sounds more worrying than mere clickbait.

Digression:
Cutting and pasting, I realize for the first time how annoying it is that Bloomberg apparently doesn't know how to paragraph. Especially a nuisance when the topics change so radically throughout his bulletins - like here. (Going through my sons' memorabilia I see both of them went through a protracted period of zero paragraphing. They outgrew it by fourth/fifth grade, though! tsktsk )

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I saw that. After declining for several weeks, infections have been rising again here in Pennsylvania and many other states. I guess there's just no cure for stupid.

I'm glad I and my wife have been able to get both of our shots and can be somewhat less fearful, but I wonder if we'll see an end to the pandemic before we kill all the vulnerable people. I've (in my most cynical moments) wondered if that isn't a plan to kill the most vulnerable in nursing homes and similar group settings and reduce the overall cost of Social Security payments.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7374 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The spring breakers have left. Most came from Texas as usual.
Expecting a jump in Covid levels in the county.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Positivity rates and hospitalizations have been rising here in the Midwest for the last two weeks.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37767 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I would like to see this. Maybe I'll try to find a clip.

I continue to think about half of the US population is either ignorant or in denial about the seriousness and magnitude of everything that's happened and is happening with this pandemic.

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I thought that was a very ill-chosen phrase from the CDC head. Could we have another surge? Sure. People are loosening up if they have been vaccinated, and others will no doubt follow by example without being shot. But I don't think we're going to see anything like the fall and winter.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13521 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It will get worse before it gets better.

No doubt.

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post