well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    House Projects
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House Projects
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I've done a couple of projects around the house.

Possibly the most useful improvement I have made so far. Ordered drawers for the rest of the cabinets as well:

Also useful on a smaller scale - a "Spicy Shelf" (as seen on TV!). It actually works very well!

Door was brown (boring):

Now it's Connor's Lakefront blue! The paint is a newer Sherwin Williams product - water based Urethane. One of the nicest paints I have ever worked with and it's supposed to be tough as nails:

Garage is coming along nicely. It's hard to see but I also insulated the garage door. What a difference!

A larger project; this one at the lake house. A big storm came through this winter and washed away a lot of the mulch above the seawall. I had more rock installed above it and this Spring I'll put in some plants to help retain the soil above the rocks.

You can see the one big boulder that got pushed out of position. I need to get that pushed back in to place before winter. It probably weighs several tons but I think I can move it if I can get enough crushed ice under it.

Another view:

Whatcha' been doin'?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34950 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have had a year off from construction, siding redo (Hardie) and 7 new windows, lots of rot repaired.

The last one was the driveway..I told all contractors to do what they wanted, park dumpsters, store equipment..whatever...the last project would be to repave the driveway.

I had to track him down, but called the most recommended guy in town...Turns out he paved my driveway 40 years ago.. Eeker

They were in and out in two days. My 89 year old neighbor commented on how fast and tidy they were as I was at work.

I drove the car on it for the first time yesterday..a bit off putting...I knew when to turn the wheel a bit to aim the car to the garage based on the lumps, bumps...Now I feel like I am driving a space ship!

Snow shoveling this winter will be so much better!!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were in and out in two days. My 89 year old neighbor commented on how fast and tidy they were as I was at work.

That was us and car chargers. No big deal - do the work and get out. Hard to find it seems, although the painter I hired this week had it together. Just another day at the office.

The other contractors I have lined up may be equally competent. The trick seems to be getting them to show up.

Having the rocks installed at the lake house was a complete sh1t-show.

Posts: 34950 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, I love your car, that's a great color!!

How do you use crushed ice to move the bolder?

My project:
I moved to a new office on campus, so I got all my books in place, there is a big ole white board that I don't need, so I got some mini magnets and covered it with postcards and various things I have been saving so I could put up somewhere. Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18475 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Get a big iron bar and lift it a little bit. Stick a piece of wood under it. Do the same on the other side. Do that several times until you can get ice under it. Spread ice on the path.

Push it in to place and let the ice melt

I’ve seen 50 ton machines moved that way.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve seen 50 ton machines moved that way

Eeker

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18475 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
What Sherwin William brand was it? Emerald or one of the Pro Industrial brands? Does it flow out nicely for no brush strokes?

Love the cabinet shelves. We have a two-sided pantry cabinet that is so deep it is where canned goods go to die. The other side is slide out shelved like that. Soon the deep, dark side will be.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
What Sherwin William brand was it? Emerald or one of the Pro Industrial brands? Does it flow out nicely for no brush strokes?

Emerald. Flowed and leveled very nicely.

quote:
Love the cabinet shelves. We have a two-sided pantry cabinet that is so deep it is where canned goods go to die. The other side is slide out shelved like that. Soon the deep, dark side will be.

I bought them on line.

Shelves That Slide

They have all sorts of different options - tip outs, bins, bread drawers, trash can sliders, organizers, etc. if you’re doing a whole pantry you might find something you can use.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I was wondering where I was going to get the shelves. Not big on the big boxes.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If you’re installing the sliding drawers on top of the shelves the installation couldn’t be easier. The slides are available with little feet on them that you just screw to the existing shelves. Side mounting is a little trickier and may require the spacers they sell.

The website explains how to measure. The trick is to allow for any obstructions that protrude in to the cabinet opening - in my case the lower hinges. If you look at the picture you can see why the lower drawer is slightly narrower than the upper drawer so it clears the lower hinge.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That door color is great. I love my lower cabinet sliding shelves. Made a mistake at the remodeling did in Ferndale, did this with narrower cabinets too, and it wastes too much space (I should have just done drawers in those spaces)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And I’d forgotten there was a lake house, though I think we saw photos of it when you bought it. Is it a retirement house for later? A summer house for vacation? Can’t remember.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We were going to live in it but decided it was too far from everyone and everything. Now it’s going to be an Airbnb and we’ll use it when we want to.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
"It takes a heap o' living to make a house a home"

You've stayed busy, Steve. Those projects make a big difference in how comfortable a house can be, both in appearances and in convenience. Well done, ThumbsUp

Thanks for the link to the slide-out shelf company. I like the looks of their product.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Thanks! I was wondering where I was going to get the shelves. Not big on the big boxes.

I don’t know how wide your pantry is, but if you’re going to load a wide drawer with layers of canned goods you might consider the optional HD ball bearing slides. The standard slides on the “premium” shelves (what I used) are rated for 100 pounds but once I loaded up the bottom shelf with mixing bowls and glass baking pans I could tell that the slides were working hard.