well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How is this not treason, exactly?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is this not treason, exactly?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
She was allegedly born months after his employment with the embassy had ended. That would mean that she was likely subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...n-who-joined-n973781

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Quite possibly, but it's also quite possible that a reasonable interpretation is that the end of his embassy employment doesn't change the fact that he came to the US as a Yemeni diplomat. I'll let a court interpret whether his employment termination makes his child American.

And if you're correct, we can zap her for treason. Evil

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Quite possibly, but it's also quite possible that a reasonable interpretation is that the end of his embassy employment doesn't change the fact that he came to the US as a Yemeni diplomat. I'll let a court interpret whether his employment termination makes his child American.

And if you're correct, we can zap her for treason. Evil

I have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with doing a 21st century version of "The Man Without a Country", Trump style.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
She adopted Syria. Can she not stay there?

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
She adopted Syria. Can she not stay there?

Perhaps the answer is she was admitted to Syria as a U.S. citizen. I don't know what you mean by "adopted Syria", and I don't know what actions she took that demonstrate that she "adopted Syria". A few more questions:

1. Was she a U.S. citizen?

2. If not, how did she get a passport?

3. If she was a U.S. citizen, did she ever renounce that citizenship? (Note: joining an organization, even a terrorist organization, is not a renunciation of citizenship.)

4. Did she apply for citizenship, and was she granted citizenship, in Syria?

As I have said, I don't have a problem with admitting her into the U.S. and then charging her with treason ... assuming she was a U.S. citizen. My issue is that the Trump Administration's attitude seems to be, "We don't like you or what you did, so you aren't welcome", without regard to her citizenship. That's not right. U.S. citizens have a right to return home. And then they can be charged with a crime, if they've committed a crime. If she's a U.S. citizen, "go away" is the wrong answer.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Her father files suit.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...s-return-u-s-n974386

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Motion to dismiss for lack of standing?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

+1

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not my area of expertise, so I have no idea.

Here's the paperwork for the legal beagles to evaluate:

https://www.scribd.com/documen...a-Lawsuit#from_embed

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

As I have said, I don't have a problem with admitting her into the U.S. and then charging her with treason ... assuming she was a U.S. citizen. My issue is that the Trump Administration's attitude seems to be, "We don't like you or what you did, so you aren't welcome", without regard to her citizenship. That's not right. U.S. citizens have a right to return home. And then they can be charged with a crime, if they've committed a crime. If she's a U.S. citizen, "go away" is the wrong answer.
According to this report: "The Obama administration initially determined she was not a citizen and notified her family that it was revoking her passport in January 2016."

I do not know why or how that initial determination was made in January 2016, but the Trump administration's determination of her non-citizenship status does not appear novel.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It does not. But neither does the father trying to prove that he was no longer in a diplomatic position. He says he has the paperwork to prove it, including letters from the UN and the government, and has been trying to establish her citizenship for some time.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

According to this report: "The Obama administration initially determined she was not a citizen and notified her family that it was revoking her passport in January 2016."

I do not know why or how that initial determination was made in January 2016, but the Trump administration's determination of her non-citizenship status does not appear novel.

OK. I didn't know that. I have to cut the Trumpies some slack, then.

However, I think it's still an open (i.e., unlitigated) question whether she's a U.S. citizen by birth.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My take is this: may be she is a citizen, may be she is not. I'm OK with letting the courts sort this out. Until that is sorted out, though, there is a chance, possibly a good chance, that she is a citizen.
With that in mind, I'd much rather see her brought back in and face our justice rather than leaving her out to potentially let another country apply their justice to one who (may be) our (likely) citizen.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Can she file on her own behalf if she's not within the United States? (I don't know the answer to that.)

If she can't, that's an unacceptable Catch-22. It would essentially make it impossible for her to challenge the citizenship determination.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Father is filing individually and as Next Friend.

That means nothing to me. Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training