well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How is this not treason, exactly?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is this not treason, exactly?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
You know who you are: Please stop sniping at each other.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
Saw an interview with I believe her brother this morning. He states she is willing to be held accountable for her actions and share whatever info she has. Let her back in, arrest her and try her on whatever are the appropriate grounds. I would think it is prison. Send her to prison.

You'll be 10 years older 10 years from now no matter what...so go for it! Registered *Flaming Liberal* Piano - Estonia 190 in Satin Mahogany

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teachum:
Saw an interview with I believe her brother this morning. He states she is willing to be held accountable for her actions and share whatever info she has. Let her back in, arrest her and try her on whatever are the appropriate grounds. I would think it is prison. Send her to prison.

Good to see you, and +1.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by teachum:

Good to see you, and +1.

Smiler

You'll be 10 years older 10 years from now no matter what...so go for it! Registered *Flaming Liberal* Piano - Estonia 190 in Satin Mahogany

Posts: 8032 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I think the concern with trying her is the difficulty of getting proof. Who is going to testify about what she did? And to the extent any intelligence is sensitive or classified, her attorneys might be able to exploit the absence of proof.

I think that is why they would prefer not to risk it.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chatty Kathy
Beatification Candidate
Picture of teachum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I think the concern with trying her is the difficulty of getting proof. Who is going to testify about what she did? And to the extent any intelligence is sensitive or classified, her attorneys might be able to exploit the absence of proof.

I think that is why they would prefer not to risk it.

Hmmm - that didn't occur to me. But then, you are the one with the legal mind.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The point, however, remains. She was born in the U.S. She had not one, but two, U.S. passports. The Constitution seems to provide birthright citizenship.

If she's a citizen, you cannot exclude her from the country because the proof would be difficult.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I thought there might be a legal issue about her Yemeni diplomat parents. There is an argument that she may not qualify for birthright citizenship.

I don't think there is too much risk in trying her if she returns. I think there is a public record of her activities.

These Interviews Alone...

... might be enough to convict her.

Ezra Pound's broadcasts from Italy kept him in jail from 1945 to 1958.

[Family story in there ...]

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Well, let's not conflate 2 arguments that should be separate. 1st, there is the question of whether she is a citizen. If her passport was issued in error, that does not Grant her citizenship. So whether she hold 2 passports from the United States or 50, she is not a citizen merely virtue of holding those passports.

Second, if she is a citizen, then of course she cannot be barred from the United States but can and should be tried for her crimes and incarcerated for a very long time if found guilty of treason.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I thought there might be a legal issue about her Yemeni diplomat parents. There is an argument that she may not qualify for birthright citizenship.

I don't think there is too much risk in trying her if she returns. I think there is a public record of her activities.

These Interviews Alone...

... might be enough to convict her.

Ezra Pound's broadcasts from Italy kept him in jail from 1945 to 1958.

[Family story in there ...]

I'm not sure how a statute that says that children of diplomats don't get birthright citizenship can override the Constitution.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Well, let's not conflate 2 arguments that should be separate. 1st, there is the question of whether she is a citizen. If her passport was issued in error, that does not Grant her citizenship. So whether she hold 2 passports from the United States or 50, she is not a citizen merely virtue of holding those passports.

Passports aren't issued to non-citizens. One might reasonably argue that the issuance of a passport is evidence that the government, at least at one time, conceded that she was a citizen, and that the Trump Administration is trying to pretend that that judgment had not been made on an ex post facto basis.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
.. or that someone erred.

And I'll let the courts test whether the statute is an accurate interpretation of the Constitution.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
.. or that someone erred.

And I'll let the courts test whether the statute is an accurate interpretation of the Constitution.

. . . . Or that she misrepresented herself on her passport application.

I guess she could argue that if the government erred and issued her a passport despite her not being a citizen, that is a concession.

Good luck with that . . .

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Birthright citizenship is not absolute.

The Fourteenth Amendment stating "[a]ll persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

There may be a question about whether diplomats and their children aren't subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S.