well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Okinawan diet

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Okinawan diet
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The search for the “elixir of youth” has spanned centuries and continents – but recently, the hunt has centred on the Okinawa Islands, which stretch across the East China Sea. Not only do the older inhabitants enjoy the longest life expectancy of anyone on Earth, but the vast majority of those years are lived in remarkably good health too.

Of particular note is the number of people who reach 100 years of life. For every 100,000 inhabitants, Okinawa has 68 centenarians – more than three times the numbers found in US populations of the same size. Even by the standards of Japan, Okinawans are remarkable, with a 40% greater chance of living to 100 than other Japanese people.

Little wonder scientists have spent decades trying to uncover the secrets of the Okinawans’ longevity – in both their genes and their lifestyle. And one of the most exciting factors to have recently caught the scientists’ attention is the peculiarly high ratio of carbohydrates to protein in the Okinawan diet – with a particular abundance of sweet potato as the source of most of their calories.

“It is quite the opposite of current popular diets that advocate a high protein, low carb diet,” says Samantha Solon-Biet, who researches nutrition and ageing at the University of Sydney. Despite the popularity of the Atkins and Paleo diets, however, there is minimal evidence that high-protein diets really do bring about long-term benefits.

So could the “Okinawan Ratio” – 10:1 carbohydrate to protein – instead be the secret to a long and healthy life? Although it would still be far too early to suggest any lifestyle changes based on these observations, the very latest evidence – from human longitudinal studies and animal trials – suggest the hypothesis is worth serious attention. According to these findings, a low protein, high carbohydrate diet sets off various physiological responses that protect us from various age-related illnesses – including cancer, cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer’s disease. And the Okinawan Ratio may achieve the optimal dietary balance to achieve those effects.

http://www.bbc.com/future/stor...inawans-live-so-long

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37872 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I can report a bit on one Okinawan - my sister in law.

Unsure about her carbRazzerrotein ratio, but I DO know she is fond of sweets (?!).

I will never forget her apologizing for being unable to attend my son's Bar Mitzvah "because I have cancer" (said casually).

In fact, she had only shortly before learned she had stage four liver cancer, followed soon afterwards by major surgery on what was a metastasized tumor.

I was sure she was a goner, but here she is almost two decades later looking well and youthful and certainly in the land of the living. I'm sure she was helped by her Okinawan genes although admittedly she was also aided by a close friend. My SIL had been aware said friend had gone on to study medicine, but did not know her specialization had become liver cancer! Naturally, her advice was "cutting edge".

However, even so, there are only so many things even the greatest expert can do for stage four cancer and SIL certainly bounced back beautifully.

Sadly, I've mostly lost touch with her (she and brother divorced) but one lasting effect of our friendship was my becoming fairly addicted to snack seaweed which she sent me regularly. I still eat it frequently, and I feel sure that's helped my health considerably (among other things I myself contracted - breast - cancer and not only survived it, I was spared the need for radiation, chemo and even hormone blockers). Personally, I'm sure seaweed and the high seafood diet in Okinawa have much to do with their longevity. (Add-on,
Okinawan tend to be slender too.)

Bottom line, I highly recommend seaweed for longevity! True, my SIL was brought up eating relatively little protein (for instance, the daughter of a poor fisherman, only her brothers got eggs for breakfast - the eggs, she herself got up early to gather! Mad Indignation!).

But that seaweed!!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
In other (though related) diet news, Planetary Health Diet .

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post