well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best hard-boiled egg method

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best hard-boiled egg method
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Found an article that describes seven different ways to hard boil eggs.

I've always done Julia Child's method, which is "bring to a boil, remove from heat". It didn't get great marks for peelability.

I've heard the Instant Pot method is great but have never tried it.

Here's the recap:

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Martha Stewart method. Put the eggs in cold water, put on the stove, bring just to boil, turn off the heat, cover, wait 12 minutes, cool with cold water.

The biggest problem is you have to pay attention to the pot to notice when the water starts boiling.

I use Costco cage-free eggs and usually wait until they are at least a week old. That is supposed to help.

I'd say about 50% of them peel neatly. 50% of them don't.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
In my experience, instant pot eggs always peel very easily.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I make boiled eggs every morning, for over a decade now.

Something like the Martha Stewart method though I’ve discovered that the difference between 12m and 30m is insignificant. But maybe a pot that held heat better or had more water would be different. But i can make them while the coffee brews and then eat when I’m ready, if that’s in 12m or an hour. No difference.

The other thing I know is the eggs peel much easier if they’re a little older. I always stay ahead on my purchases so I’m using week or two week old eggs. They peel easily pretty much every time. Maybe one in 40-50 gives me a hard time.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I use the Instant Pot now and it’s great.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I’ve discovered that the difference between 12m and 30m is insignificant.

That explains why the method my mother taught me has worked all these years. It's the same as the Martha Stewart method, only you leave them in the formerly boiling water for 20 minutes.

However, I made my first batch of Instant Pot boiled eggs last week and they peeled beautifully. Mama's method makes perfect eggs but the peeling is hit-and-miss, probably because the age of the eggs is the determining factor.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post