well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Things you don't think about when choosing a college for your child
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things you don't think about when choosing a college for your child
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
Civil insurrection.

LL#1 is still home on break and has to head back to her college in Ohio in time for class to start Jan 25. Her college has scheduled a pre-semester covid test for her on Saturday the 23rd. She's currently taking a winter term class (15 weeks of cell biology jammed into 3 weeks) and due to trying to work around scheduled tests and assignments, she was planning to drive back this Sunday. But lo and behold it seems there's an armed Trumpster protest planned in Columbus OH on Sunday -- apparently, the chatter and threats have been pretty significant, since Ohio has already activated the national guard in preparation for it. I heard rumors that during last Wednesday's shindig, people were throwing bricks off the overpasses and hitting cars on the highways in and around Columbus. LL#1 does not go to college in Columbus, but she has to drive the highway right through it in order to get where she's going and I'd prefer she does not meet any bricks on the way.

So given that this protest is on Sunday and inauguration is on Wednesday (and she has to work around all her tests and assignments), I was thinking perhaps the Friday after inauguration was the safest bet. Hoping that the trumpsters will have burned themselves out or gotten themselves arrested by then. On the other hand, I suppose the entire country could be in all-out civil war by then..... What say you, o WTF?

Posts: 4388 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Can she go around Columbus?

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
On smaller roads, and through much redder territory ...

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
There's a big ol highway bypass (Route 270) around columbus, but I believe that is where the brick throwing was occurring.

Posts: 4388 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking perhaps the Friday after inauguration was the safest bet.

I would say she should head back on the 22nd, and that should allow her to get the test on the 23rd.

Do they have Sunday testing options?

My uni currently requires us to get tested once every 7 days, but there are no testing sessions on Saturdays or Sundays, and the weekday latest time slot ends at 2pm. It is so inconvenient! VeryAngry

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Can she go up and over Columbus through the town of Delaware? Two lane highway,maybe.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I think it would be pretty out of the way. I lived in Columbus for a few years and even taking the bypass highway vs straight through adds a lot of time and miles. Taking back roads up and around even further out I'm sure would be way more time/distance. And it's already a 10+ hour drive that she's doing by herself (well, with her cat, in a carrier, oof!).

I will keep it in mind if things still look to be unstable in Columbus after the inauguration though! Delaware is a college town and likely to be slightly less red than other back ways she could take, so it's a good suggestion. Her school is in southwest OH, though, so perhaps it would make more sense to exit the highway and kind of head southwest (Delaware is super north so the totally wrong way) on back roads the rest of the way. That would probably mean 2.5-3 hours of driving on much a much hicker much more remote route though. Not sure I trust the cell phone service on those roads, actually.

SK, thanks for confirming my thoughts -- I'm hoping that by Friday after inauguration, life will have settled down and rioters will either have gone back to work or to jail. There supposedly was Sunday testing, but by the time she signed up (just a couple hours after the email went out), all the Sunday slots were booked, so she took the latest appointment she could get on Saturday to give her the most flexibility.

Note to self: Restrict LL#2's college search to blue states only.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
When we moved, we tried to take alternate routes around some of the bigger cities, some of them are pretty decent. What about gettting off 70 before columbus (zanesville) and taking 22 southwest.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And completely off topic, but I grew up in central Illinois (Champaign/Urbana) and worked in Rockford (northern Illinois) right after college. I got bored with the interstate and decided to find a way home on the blue and grey roads (smallest roads on the state highway map). Took a lot longer, but saw so many awesome little towns and countryside. (Obviously not what your daughter wants to do with such a long trip) We do that here too, but much more rugged - Find a way from point A to point B on the jeep roads.

Smiler Jodi

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also not relevant: when I was little, my maternal grandparents lived in Zanesville. I have many fond memories of that little town! <3

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
22 from Zanesville looks pretty direct, actually, but google maps says its at least an hour longer. Still, definitely a plan if Columbus is still a hot mess. Does anyone here know if 22 is a two lane road or a 4 lane highway -- I can't tell from google maps?

I belong to a facebook tag group called "I apologize on behalf of Ohio" (if you don't belong, it's worth joining!) They post a lot of super strange things/people from Ohio. Lately it has been mostly photos of super-Trumpsters who have graffiti-ed up their trucks or houses or whatnot with over the top conspiracy theory nonsense. It seems like Zanesville has been featured on there constantly as a hotbed of those sorts of folks, to the point where I have specifically told LL#1 not to stop for gas anywhere near it, LOL! Somehow I suspect that taking route 22 from Zanesville will be a non stop "I apologize on behalf of Ohio" feed.

A typical Zanesville post (I apologize for the cussing):

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
OMG!

In that case, I apologize on behalf of Zanesville! Eeker

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Welcome to small town red America today.

Driving through east Tennessee a few days ago we stopped for gas at an Exxon station (I-40 and route 127 to be precise). No one was masked, not even the employees. I notified Exxon, for all the good that will do.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Where do you see reports of this happening by Trump supporters? There was a bit of it last June, allegedly by Antifa/BLM/whatever, but I can find no reports of anything recent.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13509 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Mik - the planned rally/riot/whatever -- I think the term they are using is "armed march" -- is all over the front page of the columbus dispatch.

https://www.dispatch.com/

The brick throwing - I saw several reports of it on facebook - I think mainly from parents who belong to the parents board for the college and live in the Columbus area. Specifically they referred to I-270 near westerville (which I know is not close to where she'd be driving if she stays on 70). Obviously it's facebook, so who knows if it's true, but I figure better safe than sorry. I know 70 isn't particularly close to the statehouse but as far as highways go, it's one of the closest (670 is closer, I guess). And brick throwing or no, I'd prefer to keep my teenage daughter in her Kia soul with her "Nevertheless She Persisted" sticker on the back as far away as possible from any armed marches and their associated lunacy.