well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Raffi has landed
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raffi has landed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
So, chez WTG is a place that takes in and spoils needy seniors? Asking for a friend.

Yer friend housebroken?

Jf

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! Just read this. Such a wonderful thing you have done, it warms my heart! ♥️

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20431 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As Mik said, at this age you can relate to the dog's situation. Big Grin

Down deep, though, I'm still craving a golden puppy.

WhoMe

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37848 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
At the car wash yesterday I was speaking with a woman who had the most adorable small golden doodle. What a lovable fuzzball.

Want. But i want one that size...maybe 35 lbs. I thought it was a Wheaton.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13538 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The neighbors in the house behind us have a mini-goldendoodle. She's between 25 and 30 pounds, same as Raffi. She is a sweet dog (if a little poodle-busy sometimes) and a great size.

I had Raffi out in the back yard yesterday and Finley was out in her yard. She saw him first and came over to the fence. He finally spotted her and he was so cute....his ears perked up and his tail came up and started wagging. We hadn't seen a tail wag before that.

He made a beeline for Finley and they had a very sweet introduction at the fence. Finley usually jumps up, but she was pretty restrained, almost as if she knew that she might spook him if she was too jumpy.

As he walked back to our house, Raff's tail was still wagging and he looked like he was puffing up his chest with pride. He looked happy to have made a new friend.

Stud muffin meets his sweetie.

Didn't get a pic of the two of the together, but here's the girlfriend:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37848 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The picture link doesn't work anymore!

Posts: 19759 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
On some devices/some browsers, I can't see other people's pics. But when I switch to another device, they come up no problem.

Are you trying to post something, or are you saying you can't see my pics?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Golden Doodles, Cockadoodles, really cute and lovely dogs.

We ended up with a 12 year old rescue because I was still working part time and Martha full time, so a puppy was out of the question. I had been fostering Rescue labs for more than a year and when the 12 year old came in, she was a keeper. Wonderful dog what’s on well with our cats.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Didn't get a pic of the two of the together, but here's the girlfriend:

Hubba, hubba!

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Aw! Raffi looks like a sweetie.

I know you're all going to be very happy together.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I know I am aging because I now think smaller, cute dogs are great. I wonder if it has to do with diminishing testosterone levels.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13538 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So the dog who seems to have a really hard time walking had a case of the zoomies last night just before bedtime.

For the uninitiated, zoomies are when a dog just starts running around like crazy for no apparent reason. Also known as FRAPs (frenetic random activity periods).

https://thebark.com/content/7-...ow-about-dog-zoomies

Totally startled us because we never imagined he could move at anything but sub-glacial speeds.

I was at the vet's this morning picking up some meds and Chinese herbs for Raffi and ran into the vet out in the parking lot. With COVID protocols, clients stay out in the car while the animal is brought in for examination or treatment. When the visit is over, the vet brings the pet out and talks with the client.

He saw me and stopped to chat for a moment; I didn't have Raffi with me, was just picking up meds. Here was our exchange:

wtg: I think the old guy still has some life left in him. Raffi had a case of the zoomies last night. Raced around the house like a madman.

vet: Oh, maybe it was the gabapentin

wtg: I checked with his foster mom after it happened and she said he did it at their house once in a while but it was in the back yard, not in the house. [dog wasn't on gabapentin at the foster home]

vet: Oh, then he's just feeling happy and relaxed.

Aside: We tried a dose or two of gabapentin but it totally wiped the dog out to the point he couldn't stand up. After talking to the vet we changed strategies and are trying a Chinese herbal formula for pain and arthritis combined with a low dose of carprofen. Hoping it will be easier on his system and still gets results.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My daughter's dog gets the zoomies. I wonder if it's similar to sundowning in elderly humans....

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Dogs of all ages get the zoomies; some dogs zoom more than others.

I don't remember our Newfs doing the zoomie thing, but the goldens would occasionally , particularly after a bath or when guests would come over. I'd let the dogs out in the yard and they would go berserk. Maggie injured herself a couple of times when she rounded some tight corners, so I learned to take her out on a leash and just bring her back in when we had company over. I think she just got all happy and needed to jettison all the extra energy.

Our neighbors have always had huskies, and those dogs are notorious zoomers. Tasha used to run from one end of their house to another, bouncing off of beds, chairs, and sofas, and skidding out on the kitchen floor. It's really tough to stop them once they get going.

Newf zoomies: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/newf...sible-124508372.html

Husky zoomies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDGUUt8_xeA

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I know I am aging because I now think smaller, cute dogs are great. I wonder if it has to do with diminishing testosterone levels.

Maybe wisdom? small dog =small doodoo
Also less food, easier to lift, shorter walks, etc.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post