well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Raffi has landed
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raffi has landed
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We've been dogless since October when we lost Maggie; first time in 40 years there have only been humans in the house. Between winter and cracking up my knee in December, we weren't in a rush for any new canine companions.

A month or so ago we started casually looking around on petfinder to see if there were was anybody who looked interesting. Went to see a four month old small lab mix at a nearby shelter, but we had also spotted Raffi online and decided he needed our help more than puppy did.

Raff is a 14 year old pup who found himself in need of a place to land in his senior years. He was surrendered to a shelter that has relationships with various rescues that foster dogs, so he wasn't in the shelter for very long.

Poor guy, he had been with his original family for his entire life. Story is (and you never know if it's true) that the family moved to an apartment that doesn't allow dogs. No judgments here; they might have been in financial distress and had to go where they could afford to. At least they took him to a good shelter instead of dumping him on the street somewhere.

His foster parents, who had him for about a month, said he's a pretty chill doggy who doesn't seek attention and is just happy to be near whoever is home.

He has arthritis that I think bothers him quite a bit so doesn't move very fast, but he does still like to take walks. He is a bit sensitive to being touched in some areas and can get a little grumpy. We'll be working with our vet to see what we can do to help on the pain front.

He's pretty old even for a smaller breed dog, so we have no idea how long we'll have him. He seems to have settled in pretty well in just a day at the wtg Home For Seniors. We'll just give him a comfy place to land in peace and quiet for the rest of his senior years.

Meet Raffi:

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Awww!

It's great of you to take in a dog that you know you'll need to say goodbye to sooner than new pet owners usually expect. <3 <3 <3

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What a sweetheart, and how wonderful for you to adopt a senior dog!

My daughter adopted a 12-year old miniature dachshund about 2 years ago. When I first met him I had my doubts, as he had separation anxiety, was a picky eater, had arthritis, was very wary, and just generally seemed unhealth/unhappy. He, too, was in his original family (with another female and one of their kids!) his whole life. The 3 went together to a shelter and Buddy was the remaining of the trio.

Flash forward two years. He's funny, happy, healthy, a total character and the light of my daughter's life. Raffi is lucky to have you!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Good for you and lucky dog. We rescued a 12 year old lab whose elder owner passed away. She has been an amazing dog.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17670 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the extended family, Raffi.

That’s not very different from how we ended up with Rusty and Cocoa. Their mom was out of work and lost her living arrangement and was moving in with a relative and couldn’t keep the cats (probably allergies). She put a an ad on Craigslist and a few hours later, we had cats, and the cats had a home.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That's very sweet. We have been considering fostering seniors. It's tough to lose them but they have such a hard time placing them.

Somehow I can relate to that more at this age. Big Grin

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13524 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
So, chez WTG is a place that takes in and spoils needy seniors? Asking for a friend…

(I love the picture. I am hoping there will be lots of follow ups).

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
So, chez WTG is a place that takes in and spoils needy seniors? Asking for a friend…

ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
wtg,
Good on you, as the Aussies would say.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Raffi, and good for you.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks like a sweet dog!

Housebroken?

Glucosamine/chondroiten worked pretty well on our arthritic Terrier mix. OTC, cheap, and our vet recommended it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He's housebroken and sleeps through the night without having to get up. Foster mom said he had a couple of daytime accidents at their house, but I think that was because they weren't paying enough attention to him. If he can make it through the night, there's nothing wrong with his kidneys or bladder. We are treating him like a puppy for the first week or so, getting him out every couple of hours or whenever he wakes up from a nap.

Just got off the phone with our vet; he's such a great guy (and totally crazy, but that's another story). Raffi is on one med for the arthritis and should have been getting a second one but wasn't because of a misunderstanding on the part of the foster mom. We're started him on that today.

His blood work is typical old dog (somewhat elevated kidney and liver enzymes that won't be helped by the pain meds), but Chris' attitude was "don't worry about it - let's just get him comfortable".

Good idea on the glucosamine/chondroitin, Steve. Haven't had arthritic dogs before so I'm learning the ropes. Will definitely keep it in mind.

We are also going to "loop" him.

https://assisianimalhealth.com/assisi-loop/

We already have an Assisi loop that we were using with one of our goldens when she pulled a muscle. We'll try it on Raff's hips to see if it helps. I used it on my injured knee and it worked wonders.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

We are a full service facility (home cooked food instead of kibble), but generally speaking I think the food and libations are better at Chez Mik.....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, chez WTG is a place that takes in and spoils needy seniors? Asking for a friend.

Yer friend housebroken?

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17670 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
wtg,
Good on you, as the Aussies would say.

+1

Posts: 24643 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post