well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Plane crash near my house
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plane crash near my house
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Maybe 20 minutes ago I heard what sounded like an engine revving up and then the whole house shook. I went outside to see if there had been a car crash but I didn't see anything.

My neighbor came over and pointed across the valley to a house on fire and told me that a small plane had crashed in to a house. I can only hope no one was home - as you can see the house is a total loss.

Frowner

What is interesting about this is how the news came in about it. The first place it was reported was on the local "Buzz" Facebook site. Lots of people asking what the noise was, then pictures of the smoke and then finally the video on Twitter I'll post at the end.

If you look at the Twitter feed you can see news agencies from all over the world asking for permission to use the video in news broadcasts. The photographer (who I do not know) graciously allows them all to use it but each agency has their own form and procedure they want the guy to follow.

Film at 11. Or not - does anyone use film any more?

Twitter feed with video

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness how terrifying! I’m glad you’re ok, but so sorry for the people who’s house got the worst of it! That’s so scary, and just so random!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And now the Twitter thread has various wild conspiracy theorists piling on.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wow.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
OMG

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lead story on the ABC national news; two confirmed dead, not clear if they were in the plane or on the ground.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here is another video taken from the air:

Local TV News footage

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Holy ****. That is just awful. Oh I hope the people in that house got out. And can you imagine what it feels like to be living in the house that plane just stopped short of? Jesus.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Oh no. Looks really bad.

[Can't help noticing from the air shots how many houses have pools!]

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10557 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wow

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25656 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Four dead now. So random. I feel for the mom who survived.

Frowner

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Looks like 5. 4 in the house plus the pilot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...test&pgtype=Homepage

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had a similar incident involving a helicopter back in 1998.

quote:
Federal officials are investigating whether a helicopter experienced engine problems shortly before plummeting into an Arlington Heights house Monday, killing all four aboard and narrowly missing a woman working on her computer just feet from the impact.

Witnesses said the helicopter, rented by officials of a private Arlington Heights school to take aerial photographs of the school's new building, had hovered over the neighborhood on the west side of Arlington Heights for about 30 minutes shortly before it dropped out of the sky and onto the home at 311 S. Fernandez Ave.

Killed in the crash were Shinobu Sada, 49, of Arlington Heights, a vice principal at the Chicago Futabakai Japanese School; Kazuya Yamaguichi, 38, of Arlington Heights, an art teacher at the school; Yasu Sato, 62, a photographer from Wilmette who owned a Chicago studio; and the pilot, Scott Maras, 40, of Lake Geneva, Wis., who had worked about 3 years for Rotors in Motion, a helicopter transport company based at Waukegan Regional Airport.

Remarkably, the helicopter missed Grace Stearns, 68, who was working on her computer in a room less than 10 feet from where the helicopter hit, destroying the roof and two cars inside an attached garage.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...805190100-story.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Tragic. Frowner But, WTF? Why use a manned aircraft for photography in this day and age?

Drone would have been exponentially less expensive, even if you had to purchase the drone.

A drone would have been exponentially safer too. Nobody had to lose their life over a couple of arial photographs.

Idiots with too much money and not enough brains, just killed 4 people.

Posts: 13626 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We had a helicopter go down smack into a condo complex over the summer.

Helicopter Crash

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post