well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Someone stole my truck
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone stole my truck
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
On Saturday between 12:56 PM and 5:49 PM on Saturday while I was out of town. My neighbor's ring camera did not catch them in the act, only the fact the truck was there and then it was not.

This may be a mixed blessing. I carry insurance on both the truck and the tools that were in it. I doubt I will get much for the truck - a 2000 Ford F-350 with 325K miles, but I carry some $15K in coverage for the tools. When this happened some 10 years ago the insurance company was good about paying the claim.

As part of my retirement I had planned to sell that truck and the tools in it some time after Christmas. I could have sold the truck for more than they are likely to give me for it but not the tools - used tools do not have much value and I have replacement coverage. I have another truck full of mostly the same tools that the crew can start using, assuming it does not get stolen as well now that the thieves have seen it in my driveway. I no longer need a service truck as I don't work in the field any more, and I had been planning to buy a personal truck anyway.

So here we go.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I'm really sorry to hear that.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
No kidding.

Have you checked craigslist for your tools?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Wow! So sorry to hear this! But hopefully, as you say, the insurance will come through and make sure that the ultimate impact to you is minimal.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mad
Hope all of it is well covered.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25658 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh that really sucks. Butte is having a terrible time with break ins and stolen vehicles recently. I belong to the local 411 facebook page, and it’s gotten so bad that more than a few people are talking about shooting people. Even had one of the vehicles that was made for fighting wildfires stolen. So much theft here lately, and though our neighborhood has not been hit (we are tucked away, and not on the way to anything) we’ve installed Nest cameras on both the front and back porch, and they alert us to pretty much everything. So far its been moose and deer and the neighbor’s cat...

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
What a pain to deal with this though...so sorry

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I’m so sorry. What a hassle. I’m glad you’re insured.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The crew took my truck home because now that the thieves have seen it I am sure it will be next.

This is the first time since 1971 that there is no truck in my driveway.

Seems very strange.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ugh... losing my tools once felt like such a violation.

Ugh.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
If the insurance company is fair, you may well end up with a settlement larger than what you would have pocketed for a sale. And the thieves saved you the hassle of selling it.

My storage shed was burglarized a few years ago. I had been thinking about selling the contents. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to sell the good stuff for as much as what insurance paid me. The hard part was losing sentimental items.

Bought a brand new horse trailer with the proceeds

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Assuming my insurance company steps up that may well be the case with my claim. I have @replacement” coverage on the tools and materials and don’t need to replace most of it as the other truck has all the same stuff.

Adding a tracker and a better alarm to the remaining truck.

Considering cameras and a shotgun behind the door.

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear you have thieves running about.

Posts: 13626 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear. They likely knew what they were doing.

Posts: 9592 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
That sucks Steve. Sorry.

Posts: 4388 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post