well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I love this idea

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love this idea
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I got a text this morning from my neighbor, asking if I had any broken small appliances that I could give her. Her son's school is having a Take Apart Day tomorrow. This school also has a garden that the kids plant and take care of, including during the summer. It's a great way for them to learn about where their food comes from. Not everybody has a dad like I did who was an engineer and a gardener...I think it's great the kids are exposed to things that aren't strictly academic, but that are still interesting. And useful to know about.

I thought we had an old kitchen blender with a failing motor set aside in the garage to take to recycling, but it was already gone. I reached out to some friends and Arjun will be taking a vaporizer to school tomorrow to take apart.

ThumbsUp

(update: Another neighbor contributed a dead sawzall....)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37796 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Ooh...ooh...I have an old broken blender! Woot

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
My kids’ schools do not have a “take apart day,” but I enjoyed taking things apart with my kids. So far we have taken apart an old ultrasound humidifier, an old electric water heater/thermos (a Zojiroshi, no less), a circa 2007 Dell laptop, a CyberPower uninterruptible power supply, a dual drive dock, a couple of hard disk drives, and the biggest “take apart” project of them all — a Dell multifunction scanner + color laser printer unit.

That multifunction printer was from the mid-2000s, weighed 80 pounds, many circuit boards, many integrated circuit chips, lots of wires, lots of metal plates and metal structural support pieces, even more fasteners like screws, nuts, bolts, tie wraps, etc. Given all the parts and labor needed to assemble the thing and the trans Pacific shipping, I could not believe Dell sold the thing for the price it did; the assembly appeared rather tedious and complex. Lots of electrical, mechanical, and optical things to show the kids while taking it apart.

Posts: 121 | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Get ‘em started young and they’ll keep that curiosity for the rest of their lives.

Yesterday I took apart a snowblower. Fascinating thing - much more complex than I expected. Chains and belts and levers! A six speed friction drive system that is nothing short of brilliant!

And rust. Lots of rust. Eeker

I like is much I’m going to put it back together.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
But cleaned up, I imagine.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post