well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What it's Like to Die ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What it's Like to Die ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I watched the first two seasons. By the third it was just going round and round and going nowhere and I lost interest. I found I didn't really care who was going to get killed next and I hoped whatserface's dragons would just barbecue them all.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t cope with the fact that they killed off Sean Bean. I didn’t like how brutal and awful it was - how the bad people kept coming out on top. I couldn’t deal with house of cards for the same reason. It was too much like what we were dealing with in real life - I needed entertainment on the television that wasn’t like my real life - I needed happy endings! Big Grin So I didn’t make it through the first season. What I have done is watched some of the story lines on YouTube - mostly the stuff with the dragons.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn’t like how brutal and awful it was - how the bad people kept coming out on top. I couldn’t deal with house of cards for the same reason. It was too much like what we were dealing with in real life - I needed entertainment on the television that wasn’t like my real life - I needed happy endings! Big Grin So I didn’t make it through the first season.

I didn't make it through the first few shows of season one even!

I'm like you Jodi, real life is horrible enough.

When I was in the middle of PhD prelims (i.e. super stressed out all day, all night, all the time) I needed some time to unwind, so I got a dvd from netflix (back when you still had them delivered in the mail) and sat down to watch the movie Black Swan. I found it was too intense and turned it off in about 20 minutes!

So yeah, I want entertainment to be entertaining, not super violent or stressful!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I watched about 20 minutes of one episode, which turned out to be 20 minutes where there was a gigantic slaughter. In addition to the visuals, the sound effects (particularly when they smashed in someone's skull) were enough to turn me off permanently.

That's my GOT experience.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I love it. My kids love it. Mary Anna's son and daughter-in-law love it.

But then, I've been reading the books from the very beginning, even watching George R.R. Martin's website to see when the next one might be out (for the upcoming one, the wait has been years and years).

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I love it, too! I’ve read the books twice. Who knows if GRRM is going to finish writing the series?

If you like podcasts, and you like AGOT, and you like Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, listen to the Nerdette Recaps Game of Thrones with Peter Sagal. Interesting and funny, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
OK, I need to check that out.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post