well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ministry of Curry
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ministry of Curry
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Nice little website with recipes for Indian dishes prepared in the Instant Pot. Haven't tried any yet, but some looked quite tasty.

Check out the "best of 2018":

https://ministryofcurry.com/to...instant-pot-recipes/

Please check back in with results of you decide to try any of them out....I'll do the same...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37747 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I am absolutely going to try the kheema, butter chicken, and korma. Thank you!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Ruh-roh. Do I need to get an instant pot, now?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Yes.

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Sent to my curry-loving, InstaPot-owning son. Thanks! Smiler

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't have an Instant Pot, but looked at a couple of the Indian food videos and it seems the advantage gained is in cooking time. There's still a lot of measuring and chopping.

I would think the best advantage of the IP is with long-cooking dishes like stews, beans, soups. Is that right?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13776 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
(Channeling son): You an also brown things in the IP before cooking. This is different than with a slow cooker, where if you need to, you have to brown things in an additional pot or skillet then transfer to the slow cooker.

Apparently it also makes the world's best hard boiled eggs.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina: Apparently it also makes the world's best hard boiled eggs.

Yes it does! ThumbsUp

quote:
You an also brown things in the IP before cooking.

You can but it's really slow, especially if you have to brown things one after the other. That little 120 volt heating element isn't really up to the task of doing a lot of browning.

I save time by browning on the stove and transferring to the IP.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34826 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I don't have an Instant Pot, but looked at a couple of the Indian food videos and it seems the advantage gained is in cooking time. There's still a lot of measuring and chopping.

I would think the best advantage of the IP is with long-cooking dishes like stews, beans, soups. Is that right?

It also makes perfect rice.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A lot of Indian cooking demands you stand at the stove and stir for an hour or more.

The IP eliminates that.

Posts: 34826 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:

No. It'll be just one more something to take up valuable counter space. You have a cooker, no? Thai and Indian people have been making the best damned curry for eons without an electric pot.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10562 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:

No. It'll be just one more something to take up valuable counter space. You have a cooker, no? Thai and Indian people have been making the best damned curry for eons without an electric pot.

They also did it for eons without electricity or a refrigerator or a gas or electric cooktop. I'm sure you don't recommend doing without any of that.

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
quote:

They also did it for eons without electricity or a refrigerator or a gas or electric cooktop. I'm sure you don't recommend doing without any of that.

One needs basic essentials. What one doesn't need, imo, is a special cooker for this and a special one for that (who even has enough storage space?). All to fulfill the insatiable appetite of marketers.

Here's the question that does it for me. Can your instant pot replace your basic stove/oven? In other words, if you have an instant pot, do you still also need your stove? If the answer is yes then I say an instant pot is redundant. If the answer is no, then I say great.

Posts: 10562 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Mind you, I don't think it's the worst offender, it is after all a pressure cooker and there's merit in that, but after all ...

electric steamer
bread machine
rice cooker
instant pot
slow cooker
toaster
toaster oven
microwave
perfect egg maker
pizza maker
breakfast sandwich maker
and who knows what all

For the cost of all that pollution you could take a few darned good cooking classes.

(You know I"m half joking, right? -- But only half.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Speaking as someone who enjoys cooking and learning new ways to cook, I wonder why anyone who has a radio needs a cello. The storage space alone...

(Also joking Cool)