well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Car Talk

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Talk
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Mr wtg and I absolutely loved Car Talk. We used to listen to it most Saturday mornings. Ray and Tom stopped recording new shows in 2012, and Tom died in 2014. I knew they were re-running old shows, but didn't realize they ended the program altogether late in 2021

https://www.wbur.org/news/2021...ck-ray-tom-magliozzi

Tom's obit on Car Talk.

https://www.cartalk.com/conten...m-magliozzi-obituary

What a great legacy....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37797 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Click and Clack were like old friends.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I was responsible for hiring a speaker for our group's annual meeting as a keynote. In discussing who to invite, someone suggested hiring the two from Car Talk. I contacted a speakers bureau to see if they were available and what would be the cost.

The speakers bureau rep said that Ray and Tom didn't do such things. They'd only done it once in all the time they were on the air.

He then told me that were they ever to be willing to do it, their agent would never have to do any work since organizations would knock the door down to get them as speakers.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That was a great show. Wonder what ehy would say about the current crop of cars with the big screens. I suppose one can drive around in a new Maserati and watch the Clampetts.
Had to pull over and stop to change the radio channel on my new car yesterday. The vehicle is a computer on wheels.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I'd like their take on electric vehicles. I too enjoyed their show.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I wish there were a similar show called Appliance Talk. I bet it would be just as popular.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Another fan here. I used to drop my wife off at work on Saturdays and then listen to their program while I drove. Many is the day that I would finish my drive but sit in my car to listen till the end of the show.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post