well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So Steve….
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Steve….
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re contractors, where are you finding them?

I recommend seeking out recommendations from your real estate agent and also neighbors.

I rarely contact a contractor if I don't know someone who's worked with them before, or at least friend-of-a-friend type connection.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18505 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

I’m beginning to understand the appeal of TFG.
Nooooooooooooooooo!

I could have said much the same about life up here, though. Craigslist flakes abound. You have to call someone three times to prove you are serious before they’ll call you back.

And my experience in Huntington Beach may not have generalized to the rest of California, but it seemed to be the capital of bad customer service. I stayed at that Hilton three or four times and each was worse than the one before. I suffered truly abusive service at Simmzy’s… then on my way out the door the manager asked how the service was… I started to tell him and all he did was make excuses for his staff’s incompetence and rudeness.

Anyway… we’re still waiting for some pictures.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
TFG

Too Far Gone??

Confused

Posts: 18505 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s Biden’s term. “The former guy”. We all know what he means:

“That fu***ing guy.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
On the boxes:

“Will you deliver them?”

“What sizes do you have”

“Do you supply tape to put them back together? Will you come to my house and reassemble them?”

The boxes are free. They cost a fortune if you have to buy them. The wardrobe boxes alone are some $50 each if you buy them from the movers (like we did). These are some lazy, stupid people.

But:

Enter George. He’s a military man. Marines 20 years, 25 years Cleveland PD, retired. Has the haircut. Heavily invested in Toys for Tots and they need boxes. I have boxes. Meet at 15:00 hours?

Right on time. Brought his truck. Loaded up the boxes like Grant took Richmond. Thanked me for the donation.

I like this guy.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the boxes:

“Will you deliver them?”

“What sizes do you have”

“Do you supply tape to put them back together? Will you come to
my house and reassemble them?”

The boxes are free. They cost a fortune if you have to buy them. The wardrobe boxes alone are some $50 each if you buy them from the movers (like we did). These are some lazy, stupid people.

But:

Enter George. He’s a military man. Marines 20 years, 25 years Cleveland PD, retired. Has the haircut. Heavily invested in Toys for Tots and they need boxes. I have boxes. Meet at 15:00 hours?

Right on time. Brought his truck. Loaded up the boxes like Grant took Richmond. Thanked me for the donation.

Just gotta be selective.

Excellent.

Now where are the pictures of the desk and Christmas lights tie-downs? I mean, it’s not like you’re doing anything else right now…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Finally got the WiFi working. Let me see if I can post some pictures tomorrow.

Right now my printer is sitting on a box (a proper file cabinet arrives tomorrow) but I’m very pleased with my new office.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally got the WiFi working. Let me see if I can post some pictures tomorrow.

Yay! (and I re-read my post; I was trying to be funny and hope it didn’t come off as demanding…)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Not at all! I have a lot of pictures I’d like to share! Thanks

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
George could be a good person to be friends with.

As for the Craigslist bozos...I've had a few like the ones you've described (more on Nextdoor than on CL), but for the most part people have been great.

Our favorites were the couple originally from California (ahem!) who moved to the Chicago area. They made us a wonderful dinner at their house when we agreed to deliver the dining room table they bought from us. We never saw them again but spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening with them.

Looking forward to pics!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37926 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Maybe stay in touch with George. Ask if he has friends, maybe who do fencing or gutters or whatever you are needing. I bet he does.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
"Free" stuff seems to bring out the flakiest of the flakes. I figure they figure if it's free, it's not a big deal if they don't show up.

I once had seven eighths of a Costco box of baby wipes (something my ex had for camping). I put them on CL for free. Had a dozen responses in the first hour. I give the first guy my address and he says he'll be there by 9:00. Never showed up. I sent him a text and said if he wasn't there by 10:00, I was moving to the next person. At 10:00, the wipes were still sitting in the driveway. I gave the next person the address and she said she'd be there at 11:00. At 11:30 she shows up and the wipes are gone. Apparently the first guy slipped in while I wasn't looking and took them. The other woman was p!ssed. Oh, well.

I once had two big boxes of styronuts. I put them on CL for free. A person said she'd come get them that evening. I went to bed. It rained overnight. She hadn't picked them up. They were soaked. I did spread them out in the basement and let them dry, then started over, rather than send them to the landfill.

On the flip side, you may recall that a year or two ago, my neighbor (around the corner and three houses down) had a grill at the end of his driveway with a sign that said "FREE". I wheeled it to my house and it was sitting in the driveway, but up against the house. I had taken the sign off. A guy pulls into my driveway and starts figuring how he's going to get the grill in his truck. I go out to ask him what's up. He says he's there to get the grill. I told him I had just gotten it, no it wasn't up for grabs, and very sorry, but please leave. He was p!ssed. That was the Weber Genesis 330 that was originally a $900 grill (it still wants new burners, but the screws are completely rusted).

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The journey begins:

House is empty:

We left the office furniture. It would cost more to move than it's worth:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We saw some cool scenery on the way out:

But most of I-40 looks like this:

Trying to keep the trailer from being stolen. It seems to have worked:

One of many stops along the way to mess with the tarp. This is Jackrabbit, AZ. I scavenged an old fence post to put on top of the tarp, which worked until it sawed a hole in the tarp and fell in to the trailer. I am using that post as part of the landscape in this new place.

This is where we stayed in Flagstaff. See those rocks? I used some of them to hold the tarp down and they did the same thing the fence post did. They are also now part of my landscape.

The final tarp solution. Three new tarps, two sheets of plywood and more bungee cords, all cobbled up in the parking lot of the Home Depot in OKC. No more problems after that.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Great photos!!

re your method to keep trailer from being stolen, brilliant!!