well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So Steve….
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Steve….
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Of course... The dust and mess you might notice more on hardwood still comes in when you have carpeting. It just settles down in the fibers so you don't notice it as much!

Of course!

But you know the old adage "out of sight, out of mind"..... Wink

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Of course... The dust and mess you might notice more on hardwood still comes in when you have carpeting. It just settles down in the fibers so you don't notice it as much!

Of course!

And once it settles in to the rug it stays there until you vacuum. On a hard floor every time you walk by you kick it up.

I think that may be why this house seems dusty. It was also dusty because of the code required fan that ran 15 minutes of every hour to combat “sick house syndrome”. Defeats the purpose of a tightly built house and I disconnected it. If the CO alarm goes off I’ll open a window.

Cutting open dozens of cardboard boxes surely doesn’t help.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

I’m intrigued by the idea of Kugel. It doesn’t violate the rules of Coleman family dining and it doesn’t sound all that heavy. Any recipe suggestions for a savory version?

I absolutely love noodle kugel. My friend had a really good recipe, but sadly I never got a copy of it before she passed away.

I haven't tried this recipe but it sounds right on the money....

quote:

Exciting Noodle Kugel
Recipe from the Larchmont Temple
Adapted by Joan Nathan

Yield 6 servings
Time 45 minutes

Exciting Noodle Kugel

Katie Orlinsky for The New York Times

This savory kugel, a Jewish baked noodle pudding, comes from a 1950 spiral-bound cookbook that was compiled by the women of a synagogue in suburban Larchmont, N.Y. They called it Exciting Baked Noodles, and it included what were then considered secret ingredients: Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce. To update it, use high-quality pappardelle egg noodles, which add richness. A sprinkling of chives brings flecks of color to the finished casserole. —Joan Nathan

Ingredients

Butter to grease pan
8 ounces medium egg noodles, preferably high-quality pappardelle
1 ½ cups cottage cheese (with curds, not creamed or whipped) or farmer cheese
1 ½ cups sour cream
½ medium onion, finely minced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
¼ cup chives, sliced

Preparation

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the inside of a 2 or 2 1/2-quart casserole or gratin dish.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain the noodles, put in a medium bowl, and toss with cottage or farmer cheese, sour cream, onion, garlic,
Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and salt and pepper.

Spoon into the buttered dish and sprinkle with the Parmesan and chives. Bake until golden and crusty on top, 35 to 40 minutes.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/re...xciting-noodle-kugel

This one has eggs, which will add some richness:

https://www.saveur.com/article...Savory-Noodle-Kugel/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that may be why this house seems dusty. It was also dusty because of the code required fan that ran 15 minutes of every hour to combat “sick house syndrome”. Defeats the purpose of a tightly built house and I disconnected it. If the CO alarm goes off I’ll open a window.

Our house has always been dusty. Forced air heating is a major dust mover. We had the ducts cleaned years ago and it didn't make a damn bit of difference. The house I grew up in and vacation home both had boilers. Much cleaner.

If your CO detector goes off, call the fire department and get everyone including the dog outside ASAP. It's a deadly situation.

I don't think "sick house" has anything to do with CO, or at least it shouldn't. I believe it relates to offgassing from stuff in the house like furniture, carpeting, and other flooring. Some people are especially sensitive to some chemicals and they can have all kinds of problems. Tightly built houses just make it worse. That said, I'm surprised that it's a code thing. I thought only people who had a problem installed the kind of remediation that you describe.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Apparently it’s a code thing. There is a sticker on the electrical panel where they tested it for air filtration. Suffice to say it passed.

Otoh, it may have been tight four years ago when it was built but it isn’t now. I can feel air coming in around the windows when the wind blows and the backdraft damper on the $18 bath fan may as well not exist.

If anything I’ll tighten it up more.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Well how about that. The tiny village of N. Ridgeville imposes a city tax. I’ve never seen anything like it. There are no city taxes in CA that I’m aware of.

They tax income, SS income (Eeker) rental income in state and out of state, and all kinds of stuff. All this on top of the highest property tax I’ve ever seen.

It’s a red state tax scheme geared toward very stupid people. As a senior on a fixed income I don’t think I can afford it.

Time to go back to CA.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The Geek Squad (here to fix a tv issue with a brand new tv - he suggests I take it back to the store)) guy told me that gas is cheap because there are no gas taxes. Apparently this considered less regressive and is made up for with property taxes.

Yeah, right.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have memories of my Dad sitting over the kitchen table doing his taxes.

We lived in NJ but he worked in Manhatten..

So he paid NJ state, NY State and NY City taxes..along with Fed taxes... Eeker

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
All this on top of the highest property tax I’ve ever seen.
I'd bet that Oregon's is higher. They also tax every bit of income they can find. But no sales tax. Makes it not very attractive place to retire. Else, I'd be looking for a place in Corvallis or Salem.

Washington has a moderate property tax, a very high sales tax, and zero income tax. I always wondered why markj doesn't live here.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

Of course!

And once it settles in to the rug it stays there until you vacuum. On a hard floor every time you walk by you kick it up.

I've torn up plenty of rugs... No vacuum gets it all out! But when you walk around it kicks it back into the air - that's why people with asthma often have to remove carpets and use area rugs which can be taken out and cleaned every so often.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's amazing what you find when you take up wall-to-wall carpeting. Gritty dirt that's sifted through over the years, plus the residue from deteriorated padding and rug backing. Definitely not desirable for an asthmatic.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. Just a dirt catcher. Plus I don't find wood floors cold at all. Tile yes, wood no.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Two words: sheepskin slippers.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Weather forecasting here is wildly erratic and changes constantly.

Is it the same in, say, Chicago?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ha! Yes, that is a thing...

Layers, adaptable clothing is the way to go!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post