well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New fronts on the culture wars
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New fronts on the culture wars
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
How M&M’s Found Itself in the Culture Wars

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, I thought.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Words fail.

It's a candy. That's all. It oppresses no one and keeps dentists in the black. Yeesh.

Besides, if you are changing anything at all due to what Carlson says, well, bless your heart.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and keeps dentists in the black

Yes

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure which is more annoying - woke or anti-woke.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Just another way for that gazoony to keep people distracted from things that might really matter. Gross.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I saw a bit the other day. Guy said he was in a grocery store and a kid was pestering his mom for some candy. She grabbed a bag of M&Ms. The guy leapt into action and screamed at her to put them back because M&Ms had gone woke. So she put the M&Ms back and grabbed a Twix instead, and the guy went back to minding his own business.

I’m sure it’s not completely true, but I certainly see the majority of wackanoodles doing the same. Failing to see the actual picture.

I, for one, won’t be buying any Mars products. Any company that makes a decision based on some inane blather that li’l tucky spewed will not get my business.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I had no idea… Mars owns Wrigley, Altoids, and bunch of pet food brands, and Banfield and VCA animal hospitals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ncorporated#Products

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much impact this would have on my life.

I like M&M just fine, especially the sort with peanuts, and I find the M&M “spoke candies” humorous and whimsical. But I only buy M&M may be once or twice a year, if that. In the last few years, most M&M I ate are Halloween hauls/left-overs or gifts from others. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I saw a bit the other day. Guy said he was in a grocery store and a kid was pestering his mom for some candy. She grabbed a bag of M&Ms. The guy leapt into action and screamed at her to put them back because M&Ms had gone woke. So she put the M&Ms back and grabbed a Twix instead, and the guy went back to minding his own business.

I’m sure it’s not completely true, but I certainly see the majority of wackanoodles doing the same. Failing to see the actual picture.

I, for one, won’t be buying any Mars products. Any company that makes a decision based on some inane blather that li’l tucky spewed will not get my business.

I'm confused - Mars hasn't responded to Tucky-poo at all but it seems like shooting yourself in the foot to boycott a company because people you don't like don't like it.

From the article (quoting Tucker):
“The green M&M’s got her boots back but apparently is now a lesbian, maybe, and there is also a plus-sized, obese purple M&M,” he said. “So we’re going to cover that, of course. Because that’s what we do.”
He is seriously deranged.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mars responded. Mars is indefinitely suspending the cartoon M&Ms in all their advertising. Why? Because tucky called them “woke” for the female ones ditching the go-go boots for sensible sneakers, so in tucky’s pea-brain, they are no longer “hot” (sexualized).

Mars caved to right-wing anti-“woke” BS.

(NYT article is behind paywall.)

Am I missing something?

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/24...fox-news-culture-war

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I like Mars. I don't like Hershey's.

However, Mars' advertising has become downright creepy.

I didn't read the link so don't know if it mentions the personification of M&M's as human cannibal victims.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
And perhaps it’s all part of A marketing stunt for the Super Bowl.

If so, it’s not particularly well handled.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Her effort was for naught. Twix is a Mars brand.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:

Her effort was for naught. Twix is a Mars brand.
Exactly the point. Sheeple do what twits like li’l tucky say… there is a complete and total lack of understanding, much less original thought.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’m not sure which is more annoying - woke or anti-woke.

this ^

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post