well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bandanas, the next scarce commodity - virus may transmit via breathing/talking
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bandanas, the next scarce commodity - virus may transmit via breathing/talking
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I ordered masks an 50 gloves fro Wish.com

Probably China??? Shipping tomorrow

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Was just reading about homemade masks. Apparently those blue shop towels have the best filtration, better than cotton material. Wish I had not given my sewing machine away!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20411 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I don't know what blue shop towels are...?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Saw no sewing bandanas today but must have little black pony tail elastic.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We have turned our breakfast room into a sweat shop. Need to make nine masks. Four down, five to go.

MS, her boyfriend (NC) and my niece (CA) are sick. Looks like I’m too late . . .

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
We have turned our breakfast room into a sweat shop. Need to make nine masks. Four down, five to go.

MS, her boyfriend (NC) and my niece (CA) are sick. Looks like I’m too late . . .

Oh no!

Please keep us posted.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh Cindy, I’m so sorry to hear this! I hope their symptoms remain mild and go away quickly!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Cindy, That's horrible. Hoping for the best.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
I don't know what blue shop towels are...?
They are very heavy duty paper towels.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TO...ll-5440030/205218228

One article I read about people sewing masks for healthcare workers said a former nurse got hold of a handful of surgical drapes and used those as the inner layer of the mask. It seems to me that they are similar material to the blue shop towels.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Someone commented on my Instagram that you should use 2 different fabrics, so you can tell which side you wore in/out. If you’re going to put it back on, you want to be consistent in how you wear it, between washings.

Also, circular strips cut from a pair of tights may be less irritating to the ears than elastic. I have some new tights that may get sacrificed for the cause.

I have a lot of fabric from my “wanted to try quilting” days. But I may have to see if I can borrow Mom’s sewing machine; mine is having issues.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I might have to start marking mine with "BACK" on the back since they appear similar on both sides. When it is right side out, the pleats go down, but that may be too subtle.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Thanks PJ

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We're going to start making masks tonight. MFR found this great material, lots of elastic and swim suit inserts to give it form and thickness.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13524 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I'm guessing this is why in the last day or two, Fauci and Brix have talked about the CDC revisiting the mask issue.

quote:
A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

"I'm not going to wear a surgical mask, because clinicians need those," said Fineberg, former dean of the Harvard School of Public Health. "But I have a nice western-style bandana I might wear. Or I have a balaclava. I have some pretty nice options."

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told CNN Tuesday that the idea of recommending broad use of masks in the US to prevent the spread of coronavirus is under "very active discussion" by the group.

Fineberg, chair of the NAS' Standing Committee on Emerging Infectious Diseases and 21st Century Health Threats, said his letter was sent Wednesday evening in response to a query from Kelvin Droegemeier with the Office of Science and Technology Policy at the White House.

"This letter responds to your question concerning the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread by conversation, in addition to sneeze/cough-induced droplets," the letter states. "Currently available research supports the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients' exhalation," it continues.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/04/02/...se-letter/index.html

I knew this weeks ago from reading about the situation in Italy.

WTF.

Posts: 24643 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's kind of common sense that some sort of barrier to virus entry is better than no barrier.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13524 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post