well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bandanas, the next scarce commodity - virus may transmit via breathing/talking
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bandanas, the next scarce commodity - virus may transmit via breathing/talking
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I'm guessing this is why in the last day or two, Fauci and Brix have talked about the CDC revisiting the mask issue.

quote:
A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

"I'm not going to wear a surgical mask, because clinicians need those," said Fineberg, former dean of the Harvard School of Public Health. "But I have a nice western-style bandana I might wear. Or I have a balaclava. I have some pretty nice options."

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told CNN Tuesday that the idea of recommending broad use of masks in the US to prevent the spread of coronavirus is under "very active discussion" by the group.

Fineberg, chair of the NAS' Standing Committee on Emerging Infectious Diseases and 21st Century Health Threats, said his letter was sent Wednesday evening in response to a query from Kelvin Droegemeier with the Office of Science and Technology Policy at the White House.

"This letter responds to your question concerning the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread by conversation, in addition to sneeze/cough-induced droplets," the letter states. "Currently available research supports the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients' exhalation," it continues.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/04/02/...se-letter/index.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEX2-n2Hc

Czech republic choice to mask everyone...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
After my mother passed away about ten years ago, I brought home several boxes of fabric. My sister-in-law took most of the notions. I also brought home her 1981 Viking 180 sewing machine which I seriously disliked and sold on craiglist.

Sometime in the last year, I went through the boxes of fabric and took most of it to Goodwill. I picked out a handful of pieces of all-cotton. I think most of the fabric I sent away was polyester double-kint. Maybe some flannel and some other random stuff I knew I'd never use.

Now, I can only find two pieces of the cotton. One is purple with a small floral print. The other is ivory with a small floral print.

I've already made two masks from the purple. I probably have enough fabric for about eight more.

I wore my second prototype (solid blue) when I went to the store earlier this week. It seems to work well. I put it through the wash as soon as I got home. I didn't iron neatly flat again, but it should be okay.

I want to try a few more before I solidify the design.

I also have a stack of old bedsheets, but they may be too worn to make good masks. I have some newer sheets. One might be sacrificed.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nice video, ron. Thanks for posting it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
My mum said that when she went to the grocery store during senior shopping hour this morning that a lot of people were wearing masks.

We just ordered some cloth ones (since we don't have a sewing machine).

We will do our next shopping trip maybe in another week, and we'll wear those I guess.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Where did you order yours, SK? I don't sew, either. And a crocheted one doesn't seem ideal. Wink

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are back in stock on April 8th.

Also there are probably other options on Amazon, and I didn't even check etsy or ebay.

I would like some musical ones actually!

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=face%20mask

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My husband wears one when he goes grocery shopping now. One of the cashiers thanked him for wearing it. I figure if nothing else, the peace of mind of the folks who have to work in public spaces is worth it.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of disposable masks that we nabbed at the hospital during our last two trips there.

I ordered a couple of packages of cotton bandanas from Amazon. They'll be here on Monday April 13th.

I'm not planning to go anywhere before then, but if I have to go I have the disposable ones.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

For one brief moment I thought you meant something like the cards that play a tune when you open them and was trying to imagine the cacophony in a grocery store as everyone's bandana started to play....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The kids have asked for some masks and Sharon is only too happy to make them.

We have a nice set of sheets that don’t fit any of the beds that look to be perfect for the purpose.

I know what Sharon will be doing this weekend. I hope she makes some for us.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
For one brief moment I thought you meant something like the cards that play a tune when you open them and was trying to imagine the cacophony in a grocery store as everyone's bandana started to play....

OMG we need these in our life!!!’

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I meant (although WTG’s interpretation is more funner)

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Pic is rather large and we can't read past posts...can you reduce the size?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post