well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Have you ever cooked a whole pumpkin?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever cooked a whole pumpkin?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I see there are kinds grown specifically for eating, but being as I have all these decorative pumpkins laying around I thought I might try making something out of them - or at least one of them.

Any tips?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Do you have squirrels in your neighborhood?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37767 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yes. Why?

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Jack o lantern pumpkins are pretty flavourless. I wouldn’t eat one, personally.

I have cooked pumpkin purée from whole pumpkins and after trying it a couple times realized that canned actually tastes better most of the time. Consistency was always hard to get right when I cooked it myself.

I did once try a recipe that served soup inside hollowed pie pumpkin shells and it was excellent.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Regarding the tree rodents...

There are pumpkin seeds inside of your pumpkin.

Squirrels like pumpkin seeds.

Squirrels will attempt to get to the pumpkin seeds inside of your pumpkin.

You get the picture.

And to answer your original question, I've never tried cooking a whole pumpkin. It's a squash, so I imagine you could try cooking it in the same way you would any other squash.

OTOH, I have roasted pumpkin seeds. Here's how:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/ar...roast-pumpkin-seeds/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37767 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve done seeds. I’m thinking dog food.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
For dog food cook like any winter squash. Cut in half, remove seeds, and roast cut side down on a baking sheet until fork tender.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Best use of an orange Halloween pumpkin: rum squash pie.

Now, for good dinner eating, get a kabocha squash.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13777 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Now, for good dinner eating, get a kabocha squash.

There’s one on our counter right now, I think that’s what Mr. SK is making tonight! Yummy

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18316 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't remember what kinds of squash were available in California, but the selection here this time of year is pretty amazing.

One year we carved a very large green squash then put a Turk's Turban squash on top of it for a hat, and that was our jack o lantern. Fun.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13521 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I have roasted one the same way I do butternut squash and it was ok.

I find butternut squash tastier. Delicata is easier and tastier.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Look at what I ran across.

https://www.thekitchn.com/reci...pumpkin-puree-250984

And the cheap generic brand of canned pumpkin is back at Aldi...I think it's $1.29 a can.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And this.

quote:
18 Types Of Squash And How You Should Cook Them

Covers both winter and summer varieties:

https://www.delish.com/food/g2...of-squash-varieties/

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I roasted a squash that was super hard to cut, and that put me off roasted squash. But I’m sure there are varieties that are easier to deal with.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The trick to cutting a tough squash is to heat it in the microwave for a few minutes before cutting it.

My kid’s babysitter taught me that.