well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Spring garden projects
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring garden projects
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some creature ate my first alpine strawberry.

I planted radishes late. They’re coming up already.

Also planted cukes. Those are germinating already, too.

One of the new berry bushes looks like it will have a few berries this summer.

Everything else, including weeds and mosquitoes, are going gangbusters.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37681 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
My neighbor passed from COVID in July 2020. I have worked to save his beloved garden and it now lives in several yards in the neighborhood.

Dick's garden lives on in mine..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wonder if I could do something like this?

Espalier

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are a ton of espaliered fruit trees at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It's a fascinating process but quite labor-intensive. Plus I'm not a huge fan of forcing plants to look a certain way, so espalier and topiary aren't really my thing, though I can see doing them in certain situations.

OTOH, this other article that was linked in what you posted got my attention:

Tapestry lawns

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37681 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Was out for a walk yesterday and caught the scent of an old-fashioned rose. The blooms were a little past their prime but I stopped to take in the lovely perfume.

Lo and behold, there was a bee in the center of one of the blossoms. The bee was completely covered in pollen and looked like it was just wriggling around in sheer delight.

Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just learned that the City of Avon Lake makes mulch they make from the leaves they pick up. Looks like pretty good stuff, fairly well rotted, and you can't beat the price - it's free!

I've been spending a ton on peat moss and compost to work in to this heavy clay soil but no more. Do you think I'll need to add nitrogen to the mix if I use it for planting? Does anyone know of a gadget to hook to a drill or something to make it easier to mix in? A cement mixer seems like overkill.

They also have free wood mulch. It might be a nice break from the bagged brown mulch that I have now - and everyone else does too. Does mulch have to match? Not really rotted - will this be a problem?

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Not really a garden project, although they do have periodic plant sales. It's the "Miller Nature Center" about a mile from my house. Visited for the first time last week. They have a glass conservatory with all manner of tropicals in it - very nice! Admission is $2 and it's open winter and summer. I can see spending a few winter afternoons there to get my plant fix. They're looking for volunteers too - might be just the thing.

The grounds are nice too and there is a 1.5 mile nature trail along a little stream.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
My wife was there earlier this month for a meet-and-greet with the new wife of a son of friends of ours who live in Cleveland. She also described as very nice.

I'm glad to see pictures to confirm that word description.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7367 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post