well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Peloton treadmill

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peloton treadmill
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on Saturday urged people with kids and pets to "immediately" stop using a treadmill made by Peloton after a child died and dozens of others were injured.

Driving the news: CPSC said in its "urgent warning" that it was aware of 39 incidents, including one death. The agency warned that the Peloton Tread+ machine "poses serious risks to children for abrasions, fractures, and death." Peloton called the warning "inaccurate and misleading."

https://www.axios.com/us-pelot...48-b4812a284c5b.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I saw that this morning. The clip they showed had the treadmill in the playroom. I doubt there is anything wrong with the unit, it just needs to be kept out of the wrong hands. Maybe unplugged when not in use. An electric start lawnmower could do some damage too.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As you say, definitely preventable.

I saw a clip a few months ago where a woman was on a Peloton treadmill, and an exercise ball rolled up behind the machine, got sucked under and flattened. Before it burst, it heaved the treadmill up and over enough that she lurched sideways and ended up doing a hasty step off the side of the machine. She very nearly fell.

I just wonder if there's something about their design that makes it more likely to happen. I don't use a treadmill. Is the belt usually exposed like the Peloton, or is there some kind of cover at the back to prevent things from getting sucked under?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Having read comments following a long article about this, including some from engineers, it’s standard practice to have some shielding at the end of the rollers. Peloton wanted “a cleaner look.”

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13810 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Here's my treadmill (edited to be just the link bc the photo size blows up the page):

https://images-na.ssl-images-a...jJUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I supposed something could get sucked under there... ETA: I have a chair next to this (so I can sit down and tie my shoes) and I am always aware of what objects are around or on the chair, what could fall onto the track etc....

I think people need to see these things as machines with moving parts. Problems happen when normal precautions are not considered.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Groupie
Picture of CTPianotech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
As you say, definitely preventable.

I saw a clip a few months ago where a woman was on a Peloton treadmill, and an exercise ball rolled up behind the machine, got sucked under and flattened. Before it burst, it heaved the treadmill up and over enough that she lurched sideways and ended up doing a hasty step off the side of the machine. She very nearly fell.

I just wonder if there's something about their design that makes it more likely to happen. I don't use a treadmill. Is the belt usually exposed like the Peloton, or is there some kind of cover at the back to prevent things from getting sucked under?

Has it been established that there is a higher incidence of danger using a Peleton Tread vs a "regular" treadmill? Or are we just going from zero to "x" amount because we have a popular new product on the market? There are endless videos of people getting hurt on traditional treadmills.

From my general observation--Peleton users (whether the bike or treadmill) tend to participate in more intense workouts...Combined with a screen and a coach in front of them, I wonder if that increases the chance for an accident as much as anything else.

Posts: 825 | Location: CT | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's kind of what I was asking.

I wonder why the CPSC decided to ask for a recall on this particular treadmill but not others; they must be seeing something that prompted them to take action.

Here's the video of the exercise ball being sucked under a Peloton. FF to 35 seconds.

https://littlethings.com/lifes...n-treadmill-accident

It just looks awfully high off the ground in the back compared to other treadmills. That, and the lack of a cover on the belt in the same area could be contributing to the kids getting caught underneath the treadmill. Injuries on other treadmills seem to be friction burns and maybe fractures from falls.

Bazootiehead-in-training