well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What about black gutters? Gutter guards??
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about black gutters? Gutter guards??
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, you are amazing!!!

Thanks for all those links, we will look at them!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We got LeafGuard gutters about 20 years ago, and I’ve only had a clog once. We have 3 big Douglas Firs and a maple tree in the backyard.

The additions to our house from 2002 have a very shallow slope, so we couldn’t put LeafGuard gutters on them. They have regular gutters. I clean out the ones on the porch when I put up/take down Christmas lights (I climb out bedroom window.)

I just had gutter guards installed on the sunroom (no window I can climb out to get there), but I’m not thrilled with them. Little pine needles and tiny cones (seed thingy) land on them and stay because they’re kind of cup shaped. I should have done more research before asking for them. Maybe a nice windstorm will blow them off. Or I’ll have the kids go up the ladder; that’s what we used to do before I got these last year.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
AM, I don't know if this would work for you. We got one for free when we bought the EasyOn gutter guards from Costco. They're also sold at HD and Sam's.

https://www.thegutterguardbrush.com/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
AM, I don't know if this would work for you. We got one for free when we bought the EasyOn gutter guards from Costco. They're also sold at HD and Sam's.

https://www.thegutterguardbrush.com/

Oh, that’s brilliant! Thank you. It might or might not work, depending on how deep those bristles are.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I measured the bristles. They are 1" long.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
My gutter brush that WTG tipped me off about arrived in the mail today. I'm anxious to secure it to a handle and see how it works.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7365 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Gutters are not decorative objects. I want them to disappear and so would always get them the same color as the trim. Black gutters sounds very ugly.

That's my opinion! Big Grin

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Around here we occasionally see copper gutters, mostly on homes that are craftsman/Prairie style. Expensive as heck and they don't function any differently than aluminum, so definitely a decorative element. They definitely stand out.

Other than that, I rarely see anything but white.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Black gutters sounds very ugly.

Now we're getting to the important details!! Ole

BTW, WTG, I've seen those copper gutters online, I have yet to see a house where I think they look nice, maybe in person they're better? But gosh, they stand out so dreadfully in all the photos I've seen.

Ok, piqué, let's go!

So our house is red brick, and all the windows have black shutters. The window trim itself is white (I think?? I need to go check), but all the other trim, the gables, the fashia, the soffits, is this cream/tan/beige (?) color. I can't decide if I like the cream color or want to change to white or not. But I think white gutters would look bad because it would stand out from the cream color. And we're not ready to say "ok, paint all the trim white." So black seems like a possibility. What I really need to do is photoshop a photo of our current house and "paint" the gutters back, but it's not a good day for photos right now.

Still, Google was happy to oblige...

This one is actually very close to our house in terms of colors. Red brick, black shutters, black gutters:

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The copper gutters work with certain architectural styles and are part of the overall look. They look OK, but I can't get past the cost.

What color is your roof? If it's black, I could see black gutters sort of disappearing into the roofline.

What color are the gutters now?

Edit: also consider what color the gutter guards might be. If they’re stainless, they’ll break up the continuity of color ir you have a black roof and gutters.

Personally, I’d get rid of the cream and go with white everywhere.

Bazootiehead-in-training

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
Black gutters sounds very ugly.

Now we're getting to the important details!! Ole

BTW, WTG, I've seen those copper gutters online, I have yet to see a house where I think they look nice, maybe in person they're better? But gosh, they stand out so dreadfully in all the photos I've seen.

Ok, piqué, let's go!

So our house is red brick, and all the windows have black shutters. The window trim itself is white (I think?? I need to go check), but all the other trim, the gables, the fashia, the soffits, is this cream/tan/beige (?) color. I can't decide if I like the cream color or want to change to white or not. But I think white gutters would look bad because it would stand out from the cream color. And we're not ready to say "ok, paint all the trim white." So black seems like a possibility. What I really need to do is photoshop a photo of our current house and "paint" the gutters back, but it's not a good day for photos right now.

Still, Google was happy to oblige...

This one is actually very close to our house in terms of colors. Red brick, black shutters, black gutters:

Ugly!

It is not that hard to match gutters to fascia. When they come out to do an estimate they bring a color chart and you pick the color that most closely matches the trim. Its good enough. Our new gutters are invisible--they are cream colored against a very similar cream trim.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d get rid of the cream and go with white everywhere.

That's kind of what I'm thinking I want to do, but now is not a good time to add the expense of painting to all the other home repair expenses we have planned this summer.

By the way, I can't remember what color the gutters are right now, which must mean they're that same cream color as everything else, because otherwise I probably would have noticed! :P

piqué, I don't think that photo looks bad at all.

More importantly though, I just got the estimate for the roof. Ugh.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
If you have gutters that are a different color than the fascia board, is it more expensive when it is time to get your trim painted?

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mr. SK is an excellent painter, just sayin’. I suspect you would be too.

And I like matching the color of gutters to the color if the fascia.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, that’s a great question! I bet if the color being painted over is black it would be more because it would need more coats.

Steve, unfortunately, Mr SK is recovering from a worst injury and can’t really do much, probably not for the whole summer. Frowner

But more relevant here, I’m not getting up on ladder to paint and I wouldn’t let Mr. SK do it on the side of the house that has the basement walk-out (ie the side where the gutters are up two stories high!)