well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A new low
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new low
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Paul Pelosi, husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, was "violently assaulted" by someone who broke into his San Francisco home early Friday, according to her spokesperson.

The suspect is in custody, her spokesperson, Drew Hammill, said in a statement.

Paul Pelosi, 82, is in the hospital and "is expected to make a full recovery," Hammill said. But two sources familiar with the matter told ABC News his injuries are "significant."

The suspect was armed with a hammer and allegedly entered the house through a sliding glass door, law enforcement sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.

The break-in is suspected to be targeted, the sources said, adding that the individual was apparently looking for the House speaker herself.

Other stories report:

quote:
The assailant was looked for the speaker and before assaulting Paul Pelosi, shouted, “Where is Nancy, where is Nancy,” according to an individual who was briefed on the attack.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...me/story?id=92280229

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
How have such crazies been created in our country? Shrug

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They've always been there. there are just more of them now. I doubt the proportions between normal folk and whackadoodles have changed much.

Hoping Mr. Pelosi wasn't seriously hurt. This kind of thing is just so out of the realm of civilized society.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I think the existence of "mainstream" echo chambers of conservative fear mongering thought serves as the training ground for this kind of crazy...

Consider it as mob mentality from the comfort home.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The whackadoodles are on both ends of the spectrum - witness the congressional baseball game shooting and the guy who wanted to kill Kavanaugh.

Mik may be right about the proportions not having changed much, but I believe that the world has changed in ways that encourages the whackadoodles and that allows them to carry out their crazy ideas more easily than in the past. Certainly technology (online forums, Twitter, whatever) has allowed the wingnuts to congregate easily, to share crazy ideas, and to feed their anger. I think our societal norms have changed, too, and that we are more polarized than ever. We are drifting away from being a civilized society.

I think this trend is going to continue, and I don't know what the solution is.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that the guy broke in during the middle of the night and came after him. Pelosi managed to call 911 and leave the line open and the 911 operator got police dispatched quickly.

Pelosi's skull was fractured as a result of the attack and I guess he had surgery but is expected to be OK.

https://www.mercurynews.com/20...ion-on-capitol-hill/

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe that the world has changed in ways that encourages the whackadoodles and that allows them to carry out their crazy ideas more easily than in the past. Certainly technology (online forums, Twitter, whatever) has allowed the wingnuts to congregate easily, to share crazy ideas, and to feed their anger. I think our societal norms have changed, too, and that we are more polarized than ever. We are drifting away from being a civilized society.

+1. I wish I didn't agree with you here, but I do. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
The whackadoodles are on both ends of the spectrum - witness the congressional baseball game shooting and the guy who wanted to kill Kavanaugh.

Mik may be right about the proportions not having changed much, but I believe that the world has changed in ways that encourages the whackadoodles and that allows them to carry out their crazy ideas more easily than in the past. Certainly technology (online forums, Twitter, whatever) has allowed the wingnuts to congregate easily, to share crazy ideas, and to feed their anger. I think our societal norms have changed, too, and that we are more polarized than ever. We are drifting away from being a civilized society.

I think this trend is going to continue, and I don't know what the solution is.

Well, they used to be isolated whackadoodles. Now they can easily communicate with their brethren and work each other up. There is that.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
http://well-temperedforum.grou...0004433/m/5003917797

I beat you to it (no pun intended). In criminology terms, this kind of behavior might be rare, but it is by no means unheard of.

A member of Congress was shot. I should remember her name but don't.

My pet peeve with psychiatry is its best, for lack of a better word, option is to label the perpetrators as having, "anti-social personality disorder." Well, duh.

To make matters worse, the diagnosis consists of a list of rather bland attributes.

Modern social sciences offers nothing effective in terms of changing the perpetrators' behavior.

Add to the mix the fact that political assassination has always been a dark fact of life.

Forgive my morbid sense of humor.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I beat you to it (no pun intended).

I think perhaps not.... Neener

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

The break-in is suspected to be targeted, the sources said, adding that the individual was apparently looking for the House speaker herself.

Other stories report:

quote:
The assailant was looked for the speaker and before assaulting Paul Pelosi, shouted, “Where is Nancy, where is Nancy,” according to an individual who was briefed on the attack.

When it comes to whackadoodles, it seems Nancy Pelosi is their antiChrist.

No coincidence that she's the one it seems invaders on January 6th were most looking for. Remember that "insurrectionist" photographed with his feet on - whose desk?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
They're worth 100 million and she's the Speaker of the House. I'm wondering what kind of security they have (or don't) and how the security of the house was breached.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Details about the incident.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...d#image=AA13uZTh%7C3

The video I saw on the news showed the glass broken out of what looked like a patio door. Apparently the guy got in that way. I also read that she has security people assigned to her but she was in Washington and Paul was at their California house.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
The Repubs have been demonizing Pelosi for a very long time.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post