well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    DJT-AOC: The Venn Diagram

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DJT-AOC: The Venn Diagram
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
h/t George

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Kind of creepily accurate.

Posts: 35370 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
A month or so ago I referred to her, rather seriously, as the left’s Sarah Palin.

Give that comparison some thought.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There's some validity to that. I'm concerned about her willingness to take on fellow Dems with as much zeal (if not more so) than she's doing with the GOP. Her squabbles with the GOP appear to be petty, name calling, twitter wars. She can do far more damage to Dems.

My 2c.

Posts: 35370 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
She's no Sarah Palin. She's impetuous, but not dumb.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13790 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
A month or so ago I referred to her, rather seriously, as the left’s Sarah Palin.

Give that comparison some thought.

That's unfair, because she's smarter. A lot smarter.

Just as rigid and inflexible, though. I was just making the point earlier today that watching Lindsey Graham's capitulation to Trump is going to look a lot like what many Democratic politicians will do to Ocasio-Cortez in 2020. Obeisance. Deference. Refusal to disagree.

Perhaps the millenial Bernie Sanders.

Posts: 45729 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Next door they thought it was unfair because Sarah was more accomplished.

But look at the similarities:

- Each took a section of the base by storm, based largely though not completely on identity. (By identity i mean more than just gonads and melanin, "finally someone who is one of us/speaks for us!")

- Each represent the populist wing of their party, which felt ignored/taken for granted by the establishment

- Each thrust into prime time well before they're ready, and it repeatedly showed/shows.

- Re the above, base doesn't know/doesn't care/makes excuses
- Re the above, other tribe considers it proof of how far they've sunk

- Each seems uniquely skilled in driving the opposition crazy, which becomes part of their appeal. Which then drives the opposition more crazy. Lather, rinse, repeat.

- Each got/gets an inordinate amount of focus from the press, and from the opposition.

- Each's party's establishment walks a fine line trying to capitalize on their popularity while not losing control to it.

I could go on.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
(Trump is on this same spectrum, of course.)

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
AOC graduated from BU with a degree in IR and Econ.

Palin bounced around colleges and CCs for years and finally cobbled together a "degree" in communications. She did win a beauty pageant ...

Posts: 12519 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
AOC graduated from BU with a degree in IR and Econ.

Palin bounced around colleges and CCs for years and finally cobbled together a "degree" in communications. She did win a beauty pageant ...

A critical difference that the right chooses to ignore.

They choose to ignore that Palin (and, almost to the same extent Trump) is plain old stupid.

Jungle smart, however, but stupid.

I haven't been next door in forever, but I wonder how they explain Trump's frequent statements about how he knows X better than anyone. Drones, technology, Afghanistan ... it hardly matters the subject, he knows more about it than anyone. I cannot understand how people on the right can respect that level of stupidity. Are they just so happy to see a bully (a bully, to be fair, who matches many of their instincts) in the White House that they are willing to forgive all other manner of sins?

Posts: 45729 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
A critical difference that the right chooses to ignore.

They choose to ignore that Palin (and, almost to the same extent Trump) is plain old stupid.

Jungle smart, however, but stupid.

You make it sound like the people on the right are making this comparison. They hate it as much as you do.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
BTW, Jon, re your posts in the other place, the "optimal tax rate" arguments that Krugman presented are simple text book stuff. I think you can handle that. Wink

Heck, it's even in Wikipedia! Smiler

Optimal Tax Theory

And as usual, the crowd over there cannot understand what he is saying, so we get old cracks about Enron and a lot of political nonsense.

Posts: 12519 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I was serious when I said I hadn’t gotten beyond the first paragraph. I find his partisan writing deathly boring. All such partisan writing, actually.

I bumped the thread only because that’s where I had most recently referenced the similarities between Palin and AOC and wanted to expand on them.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I find his partisan writing boring as well. But that argument of his was rather straight up economics. The partisan tinge is in the eye of the beholder. If someone thinks an economic defense of high marginal tax rates at the very tippy top of the income distribution -- a defense backed by the bulk of the profession's wisdom -- is inherently partisan, then that person likely will ignore all the logic and all the evidence and simply roll their eyes in their own haze of partisan incomprehension.