well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Electric planes at the Paris Air Show

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric planes at the Paris Air Show
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
First came propellers. Then jet engines. Now the electric motor is starting to reshape aircraft.

The world’s largest aerospace event, the Paris Air Show, was held this week. By the numbers, the electric airplanes on display were a sideshow. More than 400 fossil fuel-powered aircraft worth $15 billion were sold as airlines stocked up to serve the world’s burgeoning demand for air travel.

But it was Cape Air’s order of the first commercial electric airplanes that drew particular attention. The Israeli startup Eviation Aircraft took a “double-digit” number of orders for a $4 million electric plane dubbed Alice. The aircraft can fly 650 miles (1,046 km) at around 500 miles per hour (805 km/h) with three electric motors on the tail and one on each wingtip. The prototype carries a 900 kWh lithium-ion battery (about nine times bigger than Tesla’s largest automotive battery).

Extending 40 ft (12 m), the plane carries just nine passengers, but that’s fine for Cape Air, a regional airline in the state of Massachusetts that completes hundreds of short flights each day. Its 92 planes serve about half a million passengers annually, making it one of the largest regional airlines in the US.

Cape Air’s short hops make it a perfect match for electric flight. Batteries can’t yet store as much energy as liquid fuel, making them unsuitable for long-haul flights where they’d add too much weight. But for flights under a few hundreds miles (the distance will grow as batteries improve), electric propulsion is much cheaper: 10 times less expensive for fuel alone, says electric motor maker MagniX. With lower maintenance, faster turnaround, and more durable systems, electric aircraft can save millions of dollars for short-haul airlines each year.

https://qz.com/1650449/electri...m_source=google-news

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
How would they deliver one from a factory in Israel to a customer in the US?

Maybe tie a rope to it and use a bigger airplane to tow it like a glider.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
How would they deliver one from a factory in Israel to a customer in the US?

Maybe tie a rope to it and use a bigger airplane to tow it like a glider.

Good question.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I suspect the wings come off and the whole thing can be transported in one of the big-lift transport planes.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Video of the interior

It has a Bonanza tail! Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
These planes must take an exceptionally long extension cord.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised the tops of the wings and fuselage aren’t covered in solar panels.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m surprised the tops of the wings and fuselage aren’t covered in solar panels.
May be the expected power output from solar panels is lower than the expected extra load that would be needed to fly added weight of the onboard solar power system. The entire solar power system will be dead weight when the plane flies at night.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
May be the expected power output from solar panels is lower than the expected extra load that would be needed to fly added weight of the onboard solar power system.
Airplanes already have that problem with fuel. You have to burn fuel to carry fuel, and at some point you actually decrease the range of the airplane by adding fuel.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com