well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Black Men Are Having a Moment — But Not a Good One
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Men Are Having a Moment — But Not a Good One
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
So now we have two viral videos of black men being abused.

First, we have a police officer who thinks the proper way to restrain a handcuffed man on the ground in front of a crowd is to kneel on his neck. I cannot wait to see the written reports they submitted to cover their tracks. I also cannot wait to hear the defense team argument. Still, there’s a chance that officer could slip the noose. Remember that officer who shot Walter Scott in the back as he ran away? The jury hung.

Second, we have a privileged woman breaking the rules who is so upset to be called out By a black man that she almost hangs her own dog. Much has been said about that video already, but what I find most striking is that she said she was going to call the police and tell them that an African-American man was threatening her life.

For me, that is a part of the video that makes no sense. When people are in an altercation and they decide to call the police, they either just call the police or they say I am calling the police. I’ve never heard anyone yell that they are calling the police and expressing it quite that way. When she did that, it became a threat.

It is also telling that she was no longer there when officers responded. If someone threatened me to the point that I wanted the police to come, I would wait for them. If I couldn’t wait, I could call back and tell them to meet me at my home. And I would love to see how fast they came. For a call like that, the nearest unit would respond lights and sirens. And if they couldn’t find the caller who had said her life was being threatened by a black man, their next move would be to start detaining and questioning every black man in the area. Not only did she endanger that one black guy, she menaced every black guy in the general area.

Now this lady has lost her job and is a pariah. That is unfortunate for her. I somehow doubt that she is aware of the sad history in this country of white women claiming that black men have menaced them. Emmett Till could explain it to her. Some people say the punishment does not fit the crime. I say this lady got what she deserved.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I agree on all points but one. I think she did know the history of white women claiming that black men menaced them and she knew that this history was on her side.

Why else would she specify that an African American man was menacing her? It was code that he was dangerous, true, but it was also code that she was in particular danger as a vulnerable and desirable white woman.

The whole thing is disgusting. And so is the situation in Minneapolis. We've only just been subjected to footage of white people parading their guns through state capitals without becoming the target of tear gas and rubber bullets. And now they're being used on unarmed protesters?

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I might humbly add, we have a third recent video, the video of Ahmaud Arbery who was shot and killed by a white man, apparently for jogging-while-black. The man who shot and killed Mr. Arbery and two other white men who were involved would have lived free the rest of their lives if the video had not become public. The entire justice system failed to hold them accountable until the video surfaced.

Shameful.

Yes, I know there is another thread on this, but I thought it was relevant.

Of course, all of this begs the question: how many similar events occur in the United States of America every day and go unnoticed, as Mr. Arbery's killer would have, because there is no video?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wait, what is the privileged white woman and dog story? I think I missed that?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
New York dog park story

Cindy, that photo is right on the money.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes. That photo. Exactly. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And that stupid, stupid woman. She totally got what she deserved.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jeezus. I don't know how I missed that.

quote:
Christian Cooper said he then pulled out dog treats. He told CNN he keeps dog treats with him to get dog owners to put their dogs on leashes because, in his experience, dog owners hate when a stranger feeds their dog treats and immediately restrain their dogs afterward.

That is brilliant!

quote:
"There's a man, African American, he has a bicycle helmet,"

Good grief.

Yeah, I have no sympathy for this woman. smh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Amy Cooper should have to face charges for the false report when she called the cops.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Amy Cooper is a liberal.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Amy Cooper is a liberal.

From that article:
quote:
There's a chance the Amy Cooper we see in that viral video may not be the same Amy Cooper whose details were leaked onto social media — but as a New York City resident, she's still statistically much likely to be a Democrat than a Republican, and the conversation about white liberal racism is long overdue.

Hold the phone. I'm not sure of all the implications of this paragraph, and there are many. Amy Cooper isn't an unusual name. So is the author conceding that the voting and donation details leaked may not be for this particular Amy Cooper? If so, that's a serious problem.

But not to worry! Because, "statistically speaking," any Amy Cooper who lives in NYC is a liberal, and we need her to be a liberal in order for the column to make sense. Whew, problem solved.

But, just in case, the conversation needs to happen anyway, so just play along, mmmkay?

I mean, is that really the subtext of that paragraph or am I paranoid?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Amy Cooper is a liberal.

From that article:
quote:
There's a chance the Amy Cooper we see in that viral video may not be the same Amy Cooper whose details were leaked onto social media — but as a New York City resident, she's still statistically much likely to be a Democrat than a Republican, and the conversation about white liberal racism is long overdue.

Hold the phone. I'm not sure of all the implications of this paragraph, and there are many. Amy Cooper isn't an unusual name. So is the author conceding that the voting and donation details leaked may not be for this particular Amy Cooper? If so, that's a serious problem.

But not to worry! Because, "statistically speaking," any Amy Cooper who lives in NYC is a liberal, and we need her to be a liberal in order for the column to make sense. Whew, problem solved.

But, just in case, the conversation needs to happen anyway, so just play along, mmmkay?

I mean, is that really the subtext of that paragraph or am I paranoid?

I missed that. Mea Culpa
The right wing press has accepted the assumption that they are the same.

"or am I paranoid?' No, I think you made an excellent observation.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was thinking this is opinion and speculation and pretty wild speculation at that, and other than the paragraphs at the top which are a copy of another news outlet's report, this "article" is not news.

I never thought that Amy was a MAGA-hat-wearing turmpista. Racist, yes. White woman weaponizing the NYPD against a Black man, yes. Pretty icky person all-around, yes. But neither her actions nor her residence suggest anything about her political leanings.

The prejudice here is on the part of the author.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’ll admit that I immediately took her for a wealthy, educated, privileged white woman. Part of this is the behavior and the outfit. And walking a dog in Central Park early in the morning.

But part of it is that the internet calls her a “Karen,” which biased me.