well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So, the Department of Justice ...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, the Department of Justice ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
... is investigating four car makers who worked with California to reduce emissions.

DOJ investigates "anti-competitive" behavior

The damage continues. The mere perception that DOJ anti-trust staff is now hyper-politicized will diminish the institution. It will also create more business uncertainty that reduces investment and shifts it to other nations whose institutions are perceived by businesses to be more secure from political tampering.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Next week, the I-1 administration will declare a national emergency and label the EPA as a terrorist organization.

The damage that I-1 and his cabal is doing to this country is boundless. We'll be lucky to survive this administration, much less someday recover from the damage he has wrought.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
the prior administration’s rule making here was excessive, was erroneous and was not built on proper cost-benefit analysis,

I wonder if the proposed cost-benefit analysis from this administration will include any environmental/health costs at all. I'm going with no.

But how is this an anti-trust issue? Seriously, what is the government's or consumer's stake in this? They hold no monopoly, they aren't (potentially) influencing prices on any but their own products, and if people don't want it they can go buy a Ford. Maybe I just don't understand the point of anti-trust regulations. (But I bet someone here does Wink but is most likely unavailable for comment).

NO COLLUSION!! NO CONSPIRACY!! WITCH HUNT!!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have a mole in DOJ. She zipped her lips.

I see no anti-competitive collusion here. I do see politics. And that's a YUGE problem for the reputation of the DOJ.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Totally agree.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Well, the Antitrust Dicision typically doesn’t like agreements among competitors controlling a large portion of the market.

But you can damn well bet they wouldn’t care so much if it was an agreement to install gun racks in every truck.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Next week, the I-1 administration will declare a national emergency and label the EPA as a terrorist organization.

The damage that I-1 and his cabal is doing to this country is boundless. We'll be lucky to survive this administration, much less someday recover from the damage he has wrought.

+1

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I keep trying to tell myself that if he can do so much harm in such a short amount of time, then the next administration should be able to fix and reverse everything just as quickly.

right??

WhoMe

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21345 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So far California has been able to stand up to all sorts of stupid coming out of Washington.

I am not particularly concerned about this latest stupid.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
So far California has been able to stand up to all sorts of stupid coming out of Washington.

You should be. Just an investigation is a way of punishing those companies. They'll be spending money to defend themselves, and the distraction is non-negligible.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

You should be. Just an investigation is a way of punishing those companies. They'll be spending money to defend themselves, and the distraction is non-negligible.

Aye.

OTOH I want to believe the good folks at the DOJ are not idiots and this latest bit of stupid is not likely to be treated with any amount of seriousness. A paper chase, perhaps.

I could be wrong.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
They don't have to be taking it seriously. If the higher-ups force them to send out document requests, responding to that alone will chew up a lot of resources.

It's pure political payback.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If so, that's a crime. And the next Democratic administration must look into it with an eye on serious consequences (including jail time) for the employees (political and career) who participated.

I feel for career people who are put in a position where they risk their jobs if they say no and they risk their reputations and possibly their life savings (defending themselves) if they go along. But that's the choice they are forced to make at present inside this administration. Following a command from a superior to do something illegal does not inoculate an employee.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
If so, that's a crime. And the next Democratic administration must look into it with an eye on serious consequences (including jail time) for the employees (political and career) who participated.

I feel for career people who are put in a position where they risk their jobs if they say no and they risk their reputations and possibly their life savings (defending themselves) if they go along. But that's the choice they are forced to make at present inside this administration. Following a command from a superior to do something illegal does not inoculate an employee.

It'd be very hard to prove. This Administration has learned the art of giving people orders that don't look like orders. It's one of the few things they are good at.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Congress can impound the email logs of all employees under investigation, among other methods of information gathering. I suspect a smart investigator could start at a mid-level career person who approved something "wrong" and move upward fairly easily.