well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your opinions, please, including the kitchen sink.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your opinions, please, including the kitchen sink.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
What sort of kitchen sink do you like? Single bowl? Double bowl? Triple bowl with disposal in the center? One large bowl and one smaller one?

Stainless, enameled cast iron, porcelain or Americast?

Garbage disposal - left, right or center?

Do I have too many commas in the title? Smiler

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Two large bowls, disposal on left. Corian, which with a little bit of care looks like it did when it was installed in 1992. Solid surface in home kitchens was not common back then and sink choices were very limited. We've been very happy with our configuration.

No dish drainer in the sink, or on the counter. Hand washing on the left, put the soapy clean dishes on the right and rinse them all at once. Set a dish towel on the side to drain those and then dry and put them away pretty much immediately.

Do I get bonus points for a pic?

I'm curious about how other folks use their sinks. We don't use the disposal very much at all, pretty much just to grind up something that might fall in the sink. Real scraps go in the compost bucket that's under the sink. Probably why our garbage disposal is still chugging along after 30 years....and we've never had the kitchen drain clog....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
One that works....!

Stainless is more forgiving for dropped items - though I think Corian is pretty soft too.

I suppose I'd adapt to whatever is there. We did have one with a large/small bowl option that I didn't really find very useful.

I try to make the least use of the disposal - they tend to cause problems with pipes. That being said, they are handy!

This probably leads right to the form vs function debate. It depends where on that spectrum each person finds themselves as to what determines a favorite sink!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ours is a very deep single bowl stainless. It’s great for washing pots and pans but not so great for washing dishes as it takes forever to fill it up. It’s also a back breaker to reach down in to it for very long.

The other issue is the same as every other single stainless sink we’ve ever had There’s not enough slope to the drain and we spend a lot of time chasing bits in to the disposal.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If we are washing a large bowl or pot we use it as a basin and just put the soapy water in there. Otherwise we use a small plastic basin.

What my sink really looked like before I took the previous pic:

But we have a ton of storage in an adjoining kitchen cabinet and there's plenty of space for the plastic basin thingy.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Two equal-sized bowls, stainless steel (I think original to the house so probably 60-odd years old) and still looks good and works fine. No garbage disposal - we have a septic tank and leach field and garbage disposal output can clog leach fields.

A high-rise spout accommodates larger pots without much effort. Normally wash in the right-hand basin, rinse in the left with the spray nozzle, then dry on a towel to the left of that on the counter. Installing a single-handle faucet some years ago left an extra hole where I installed a soap dispenser - very handy when washing because it can squirt directly into the basin or onto a sponge held under its spout.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We use the same type of bucket for handwashing as WTG. That goes on the right side, rinse on the left and we have a small drainer on the left of the sink.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We have two equal-size, stainless steel bowls.

Mr SK hates it. He really wants a single bowl, which is common in Japan.

And I agree, it's kind of hard to wash pots and pains in this style of sink.

We have a dish drainer thingy on the counter to the left of the sink.

Oh and we have a disposal, which he uses a fair amount, but I don't like it so I don't.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I am most used to stainless steel double bowls (one big, one small), and I like having a disposal unit. But what I want most is to always have someone else doing the dishes.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have a double bowl porcelain now, but that's only because it was on deep sale as a floor model at Lowe's. When we change counters, I'll have a one big one. I hate not being able to put large frying pans flat in the sink. Probably porcelain again but NOT black.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I have a deep double bowl stainless sink, disposal on the right, drain on the left. It's one of those drop-in ones (?) - the kind where the countertop goes right up to the sink (kind of like wtg's photo). I chose the disposal location because the work surface is just to the right of the sink and it means you can just sweep any crumbs, etc., straight from the counter into the disposal side of the sink.

Our general game plan is to do hand-washing on the right side, put stuff in the left side to dry But I made a tactical error that I can't quite figure out. I think it might be because I'm a lefty, but I'm constantly getting my left arm wet.

Another thing that's odd - here in my neck o' the woods they don't have community composting, and we don't have an easily accessible place to compost outside, so I use my disposal a lot. Most other places around here have compost bins (like garbage and recycling) that get picked up along with all your other refuse.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A white porcelain double sink with a disposal in the right one.
Of course the porcelain had a small chip in it when I bought the place. It now has another.
Don did most of the cooking and ruled the kitchen when he could and it remains as he had it.
If I stay here after he leaves I may redo the kitchen and have a deeper stainless sink below the level of the countertop installed.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Disposals aren’t a think in Canada - I have literally never lived in a place with one and only have been in one home that had one. I know they are pretty much standard in the US.

I would prefer one large sink but double sinks are the builder standard here. I suppose at some point we may redo our kitchen and then I’ll get one large on, but I’ve had a double sink my entire adult life so maybe I’d miss it?

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I have a deep double bowl stainless sink, disposal on the right, drain on the left. It's one of those drop-in ones (?) - the kind where the countertop goes right up to the sink (kind of like wtg's photo). I chose the disposal location because the work surface is just to the right of the sink and it means you can just sweep any crumbs, etc., straight from the counter into the disposal side of the sink.

Our general game plan is to do hand-washing on the right side, put stuff in the left side to dry But I made a tactical error that I can't quite figure out. I think it might be because I'm a lefty, but I'm constantly getting my left arm wet.

Another thing that's odd - here in my neck o' the woods they don't have community composting, and we don't have an easily accessible place to compost outside, so I use my disposal a lot. Most other places around here have compost bins (like garbage and recycling) that get picked up along with all your other refuse.

I love the community composting on our side of town; it’s so much better than me running our compost bin (we used to have two of them).

Our sink is a double, small with disposal (barely used) on left, bigger bowl on right. It’s always been that way; the counter to the left is too small for a dish drainer and is right next to the stove. Dish drainer to the right on the counter.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Double-wide single basin heavy-duty stainless steel. Disposal in the middle. That's what went into my house when it was built in 1952, and it's still doing fine today.

I want a sink I can bathe a cat in. For hand-washing dishes, I use a deep Rubbermaid dishpan.

Nothing cleans up like stainless steel.

Decades ago, I had a girlfriend who had a farmhouse sink in her apartment. I loved it. She hated it. If you actually had to fill it to soak something, it took forever. It was porcelain which was okay, but it got marked up from washing Revere Ware pots and pans. A little Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend would clean off the marks, but eventually, the finish, as well.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post