well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano Books for Christmas!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano Books for Christmas!
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I got some piano books for Christmas and thought I would share in case anyone is interested.

Love Is Blind by William Boyd (2018) - this is fiction, set in 19th century, the main character is a piano tuner -- and maybe a musician? I haven't gotten far enough yet, but (despite the slightly trite title) it's really interesting so far. BTW I should mention, this one I got the audio book version, so I listened to maybe 45 minutes this morning, it's really really good!

Note by Note:Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered by Howard Smith (2020)
It's a memoir-type book, the author returned to piano in retirement. I haven't started it yet, but it looks interesting.

I just found that this one was reviewed in Interlude:
https://interlude.hk/note-for-...ble-by-howard-smith/

I also got two jazz piano books from this series:
http://www.johnkember.com/sdxjpp.htm

These books are set up so that each song has two different versions: first is the score just with melody on top line, along with lyrics, and then the chords are written as block chords on the next two lines (grand staff), along with chord names. You could use this like a lead sheet or you could also play the chords (and memorize the changes) while singing. And then the second score is a regular solo score, fully notated, intermediate-level. The books have a CD with recordings of the version in the solo score.

Last night I started "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" (Cole Porter!) and it's really cool to have the two different scores! The regular, fully notated version is sightreading-level for me (or just above, I can't play it at tempo), so I can play through that, but also I can do the chords-only version and I'm trying to learn more about improvising and playing from lead sheets.

Keyboard Jam

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18493 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I vote for some Cole Porter played by SK Smokin'

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
My Cole Porter probably won’t be easy to share for … a while WhoMe

Posts: 18493 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Love Is Blind, I must say, brings to mind a vaguely soft-core TV romance from 20 years ago in which a blind yet young and handsome piano tuner arrives to tune a piano owned by the lady of the house and ends up servicing more than just the piano.

I think it was on some channel Oprah managed.

I had to watch it till the end, of course, only because of my professional interest in pianos.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

I don't know if this one is that racy or not. I'll let you know... or not... Ole

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Love Is Blind, I must say, brings to mind a vaguely soft-core TV romance from 20 years ago in which a blind yet young and handsome piano tuner arrives to tune a piano owned by the lady of the house and ends up servicing more than just the piano.

I think it was on some channel Oprah managed.

I had to watch it till the end, of course, only because of my professional interest in pianos.

ROTFLMAO HAHa

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34964 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post