well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My Neighbor is Sick with COVID
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Neighbor is Sick with COVID
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
Across the street from me, he is a late 60's man, smoker, who I have never seen in a mask and often walks up to us as usual to chat...we all back up.

He insisted on going to his usual condo rental on the Cape for vacation.

He lives alone and keeps to himself somewhat but when he has folks come to work or visit, no masks, a shrug of the shoulders as they all sit on the small front porch and talk.

So he extended his vacation stay a week and had friends into his tiny cabin condo (about the size of a hotel room) for meals. All posted on Facebook.

My other neighbor who lives next door to him (and happens to be a public health nurse) and I would comment on his postings with dread.

Sure enough, he returned home on Saturday, sick. Posted all his symptoms online. He did get a test but about two hours before getting his results was off for a trip in his car to who knows where.

His house sitter friend has stayed on to care for him, the two sit on the front porch just feet from the sidewalk (with lots of loud coughing!!!!)...and the companion goes out to get food and meds..(He should be quarantined!!!)..My nurse neighbor and I walk together every day and we DO NOT pass his house...

OMG...I am just beside myself. I feel bad he is sick but... facepalm WTF

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My 29 yo friend is in a hospital with Covid. Well one day, dying the next.

Prognosis is good. He did post online And suggested that his followers wear a mask. Simple enough, right?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Steve, it breaks my heart to hear of your very young friend's illness at such a young age. And good on him to post warnings for others.

My fear is that my neighbor has exposed many people. He insists that he has done the 'contact tracing' himself...And he is not really getting it..in a "poor pitiful me" mood right now. I worry he would meet me at the door and cough! Sadly, I think he has exposed many people on his vacation. I don't think he really gets the gravity of it yet...Hopefully, for him, he will not get worse and have to be hospitalized..but as long as he is at home, he is treating this like just any other flu ..and looking for sympathy from all his friends.

My nurse friend said "I feel for the public health nurse that will be interviewing him." Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Update...Neighbor was doing great yesterday...chatting loudly the porch (the whole neighborhood can hear! Smiler ), posting, texted me about my day lilies last evening. He is convinced that the worst of his symptoms were caused by food poisoning, not COVID...sigh..

But last night his breathing went down hill and was taken to hospital this morning.

Before then, he mentioned that all the folks he visited on his vacation have now tested positive...not a surprise really.

I am rooting for his fast recovery. Frowner

MillCityGrows.org

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I hope he makes a fast recovery, and perhaps has the guts to talk to some of his knuckle-headed friends after about how it's not "just the flu." Frowner

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What Nina said.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Unnerving for you, for sure.

I hope he recovers, and hope others that he has met up with do well.

I am so afraid. But haven't gone anywhere.

Garden friends could be visiting here at the end of the week. Saw 3 today. All wore masks, stayed at a distance, nothing common to touch, so think I will be safe. But it is part of my income, so it does make me a bit nervous. I have been so out of touch with people...this is a first, and won't be normal.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Neighbor is out of ICU today but breathless...no long talks on the phone.

His friend is still in the house, looking after his home and the cat...He was tested last week, and will be again tomorrow..

I have a fresh produce delivery set up for him tomorrow. He is doing the quarantine very seriously. Yes

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
That is good news.

You are very generous...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
As has been reported about COVID, my neighbor continues the ups and downs and was put back in ICU earlier today.

At least he is just on O2 not a ventilator. Frowner

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bummer, BL. Hopefully he'll be able to ride this out.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it. Hope he comes back quickly.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
My empathy reservoir must be running low for those that resist doing even the most simple things to prevent the pandemic from spreading...

popcorn

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Ron, I have moved the other way a bit as he is really suffering.

He is redeeming himself as he has now gotten hold of his cell phone and has been posting a "blog" on his Facebook page. It is entertainment for him as he is so isolated, but he is also using this platform to stress how terrible this is and as a warning to friends and family.

MillCityGrows.org

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
That just reinforces my feelings that there are so many people that speak and act out about a myriad of issues without empathy until it becomes personal. Gay marriage, care for the poor and immigrants, climate change, health insurance... just a host of issues that may never become personal to them, so there ends up being so many taking hard-line hurtful positions. sigh

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post