well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My Neighbor is Sick with COVID
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Neighbor is Sick with COVID
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
The good news, his friend who has been living in his house the last month, the last two weeks in quarantine, is feeling better. And the other friend who was in ICU a few days ago, has been released to recover at home.

Housesitter Friend had a mild case (he is younger and in good shape). While the health dept has cleared him, his Dr. has not. So one more week at home, and a negative test needed before he is free.

I will drop off more produce tomorrow. Hope to hear more about what is happening and what is next.

I imagine this friend would like to go home to his own place by now. My other neighbor and I will look after the house if need be but someone will have to take the cat.

Dick is so proud of all his new garden installations so I plan to take those on.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all good news. And YOU are a good neighbor...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Tonight my Covid bubble buddy and I were on my front porch well apart chatting in the cool breeze and out came Neighbor's house sitter!! We waved and we invited him over..to the sidewalk..

We all talked (or shouted/pause over traffic!) for well over an hour..He is doing well, described his mild symptoms...fatigue mostly..He gets another test in the next few days.

But because he was tested positive he was able to visit our neighbor in person, still suited up but heck, in person!!!!

They visited for about an hour...Neighbor has declined a vent..so last night what he was put on was high O2.....with meds...so not himself..all his communication is now with 3 people..

We found this very hopeful, but his friend says that the docs told him ..if our neighbor survives this, he will have permanent lung damage and will have to rely on O2 permanently...think those folks with a trolley with a tank etc.

Still hopeful...and so glad to see a healthy COVID survivor. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Our neighbor, Dick, passed away early this morning. His nurse was with him.

He had spent the last few days settling his affairs as best he could and making last minute requests to provide for those closest to him.

May he rest in peace. Frowner

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Aw, BeeLady, so sorry to hear this.

Frowner

Hopefully his kitty will find a good home....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37735 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Aw, BeeLady, so sorry to hear this.

Frowner

Hopefully his kitty will find a good home....

His friend told us last night that one of his requests is that his niece not sell the house right away. He made an agreement to allow the friend to live there (with the cat) for as long as he desires so long as he is responsible for all expenses.

I thought that was so thoughtful of him and his friend is very grateful. Yes

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Oh my. I’m sorry.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34823 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I do not understand this country.

We utterly lost our minds over 9/11.

But we can't even be bothered with any kind of coherent response to this pandemic, which has killed 9/11 numbers of victims 50 times.

What's it gonna take?

I'm just so frustrated at people at the top and people at the bottom. We've said plenty about "top."

But even at the street level, people seem not to have any idea what measures work and what measures are silly.

I went to a plumbing supply store today. You had to wear a mask to come in. Check. You had to have an appointment to avoid overcrowding. Check. You had to socially distance inside. Check.

And you were issued gloves at the door.

No. Wrong. Dumb waste of the store's money, PPE, and the landfill when people throw these gloves in the trash.

Put some hand sanitizer out, ask everyone to use it, and they would be doing more good than giving people gloves. 'Cause if I'm infected, there is nothing about the gloves themselves that will kill the virus I get on them and prevent me from spreading it -- unless they're expecting people to use the hand sanitizer (that the store didn't provide) on top of the gloves.

Geez, I see it in tennis also. People wearing gloves while they play for two hours, touching the balls, racket, benches, and their face. No, no, no. All they're doing is wasting PPE. Use hand sanitizer.

Sorry for the rant, but it is just so frustrating that we're still in disease prevention kindergarten.

I'm truly sorry for your friend, Beelady.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Cindy, my closest neighbor and I have been talking about this for weeks (she is a public health nurse)...and we rant. We have such mixed feelings..we are sad, angry at him, dumbfounded.

While we would never want this to happen to Dick, he really did flaunt the guidance...He went on his usual vacation, had friends in for dinner, felt ill and yet STILL went out and about in busy Provincetown on Cape Cod even extending his vacation another week. He had to be picked up as he was so unwell he was unable to drive home. Frowner
We watched this all play out in his FB posts...both of us with dread..So it was no surprise he came home sick (and infected at least 2 other friends btw).

He would come to chat with us as we garden (my female neighbor and I garden together as I help her revamp her yard)..and yet he would walk right up to us without any distance, nor mask....Later he would be FB ranting about how few folks in the supermarket had masks? WTF

He was a curmudgeon, a bit eccentric and oh, so social. He has a huge list of friends from work, school and this neighborhood as he lived in the house he grew up in.

We will miss him. Yes

MillCityGrows.org

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
even at the street level, people seem not to have any idea what measures work and what measures are silly

I agree Cindy. I just don't understand how people can be so dense.

I got into a ridiculous argument about masks with someone on a FB group for my university... I should know better, but I engaged. And for nothing, really, because no one who didn't already believe in the benefits of masks will be moved by what I wrote.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, BL. This disease is awful, and the politics of it make me want to scream.

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
What quirt said.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20407 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post