well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tom Lehrer

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Lehrer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I was watching the concert he did in Copenhagen in 1967; it was on our local PBS station recently.

Thought I'd see what Tom was up to these days. He's still around and in the news.

quote:
Songwriter Tom Lehrer became a star in the 1950s and ’60s writing and performing satirical songs that skewered just about everything. Since then, his work has appeared on stages in London and New York, been translated into Spanish and Swedish and even sampled on a rap track.

Lehrer, 92, announced Tuesday via his website that he’s effectively putting everything he ever wrote into the public domain. That means his lyrics and sheet music are available for anyone to use or perform, without having to pay royalties or deal with lawyers.

https://www.marketplace.org/20...-into-public-domain/

Tom's website:

https://tomlehrersongs.com/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Too cool!

I grew up listening to Professor Tom and knew all the words to all the songs on his first three or four albums.

My favorite line, though was not from a song, but from an interview in which he said his "parents were gastronomic Jews... they worshipped at the deli".

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post