well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Deals, steals, and finds
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deals, steals, and finds
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Went to Aldi. Recently saw this in the sale flyer a few weeks ago.

I needed a rolling rack for the basement laundry area to hang shirts that we don't machine dry so I figured I'd take a look at this one.

The price was right at $16.99, but when we checked out it rang up for $8.49. Brought it home and assembled it. Nice and sturdy, perfect for my needs. Went back and got another one!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Something we totally don't need, but Mr wtg has been pining for pancakes for a while now. These looked like fun:

I resisted when I was in the store this morning but decided to surprise him and buy one when I went back to get the other garment rack. Aldi shoppers love their Aldi Finds....half of them were gone in the three hours between my two visits today...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Time for Brussels sprouts! They came in at Trader Joe's this morning:

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And one more....this caramelized onion focaccia is to die for....I heated it up, sliced it in half and tucked a few pieces of avocado in the middle for a sandwich. Yummy

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Time for Brussels sprouts! They came in at Trader Joe's this morning:

We got a couple of stalks of brussels sprouts in our last CSA share of the year. We cooked them using the rotating basket in the air fryer. They were very good.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is there a method for cooking and serving Brussels sprouts on the stalk like that?

It would make for a very unusual presentation.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There was a recipe on a tag attached to the sprouts. I tossed it. But I found this:

https://www.hitchcockfarms.com...ussels-sprouts-stalk

Says you can split the roasted stalk and eat the center. The outsides of the stalks I have are very fibrous. I have no idea how that would work out. Would probably need some garden tool to split it open. Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds much like tough broccoli stems that need their outer layer cut off.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mr wtg's favorite part of broccoli is the stem, and I've been peeling those for years. I tried going after the outer layer of the sprout stem with a veggie peeler and then a knife. I was going nowhere fast. But I think I may give it a shot with one or both of these options mentioned in the Hitchcock Farms link I posted above:

quote:
Try braising the stems in an instant pot or pressure cooker. When they're done, slice them open, scoop out the pulp and enjoy a spreadable vegetable delicacy.

quote:
1. Can you eat the Brussels sprout stalk?

Yes, you can eat the stalk. Slice off the Brussels sprouts when they're fork tender, and return the stem to the oven. Let it roast for another 15 minutes. Test for tenderness, and then split the stalk with a sharp knife. Scoop out the tender pulp, and enjoy a unique veggie treat.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I also bought a bone-in smoked ham at Aldi. We haven't made a ham in a long time. They're usually way too salty for me.

Mr wtg and I were watching an episode of Jacques Pepin's Heart and Soul, and he prepared a Smoked Ham with Sriracha Maple Glaze. The first step is to poach the ham, which should help reduce the sodium. Will let you know how it goes.

Here's the recipe:

https://www.kqed.org/jpepinhea...zed-with-maple-syrup

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco is all in for Thanksgiving.

Besides regular old turkey they have...

Smoked turkey.

Spatchcock turkey. Don't know why someone would pay $5 a pound to flatten a turkey. Easy to do yourself.

Costco does your whole Thanksgiving dinner.: turkey breast, stuffing, beans, mashed potatoes. I could see this for someone who wants the traditional food but who doesn't want the hassle of shopping for everything and preparing it.

Christmas greens are in. Really nice arrangements of greens in a decorative container for outdoors for $30. And the usual great wreaths. Their greens are always super fresh.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This looked intriguing Have never had it. Anyone here tried this sauce?

edit: Costco carries the Original flavor. Bachan's also makes hot and spicy, and yuzu. Glad I bought a bottle or the original to try. Lots of interesting recipes.

https://bachans.com/blogs/recipes

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
wtg, how does that pancake thingie work? What happens if the pancake sticks to the pan? And how do you cook the other side?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As far as sticking, I've never had a problem when I had a nonstick waffle iron. I just lightly oiled the nonstick and the waffles always came out. Hopefully this will work in much the same way.

The raised pattern isn't very deep. I was just planning to flip the pancakes over. At least that's what the instructions that came with the pan say to do.

We'll see. Skeptical

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Is there a method for cooking and serving Brussels sprouts on the stalk like that?

It would make for a very unusual presentation.

So I tried roasting one of the stalks I had. Had to use a huge cleaver and a lot of wrestling to cut it in half so it would fit in the oven. Rubbed with a bit of olive oil and seasoned with some kosher salt and ground pepper. Roasted at 375 for about an hour and 20 minutes. Smelled fabulous the whole time:

It slit easily lengthwise, and the interior flesh scoops out nicely. Tastes pretty good too!

Still have one stalk left to experiment with. Am going to try that in the Instant Pot after I do some research on method and cooking time.

Bazootiehead-in-training