well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Damned Dementia

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damned Dementia
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
My Dad passed a year ago January after a decade long decline of memory, my amazing Mom taking care of him till his last 6 months of life in a nursing home.

Then a recent loss of the Ex's beloved Aunt..A brilliant mind taken by dementia, like her brother before her...Unfortunately for her she wore her brain out much faster than her body and spent a decade in a nursing home...See my thread on the the world's loss..Our beloved Ruth.

But to add insult to injury I recently attended a local play thinking it would be a lovely, though bittersweet story of a relationship with an elder...no where in the copy did they mention the "D" word..

OMG...I cried thru the entire performance...I attended the day Ruth had passed...The play described so much of my Dad's last days..And I had brought along a friend (Honduran) who lives with her in laws...the mother suffering now from memory loss...

Why, oh, why is this so prevalent now? And is there any hope for us not to bring the same fate to our children?

As my Dad, when he was lucid, would say.."Hit me with a bus."

Sorry ..rant over...Just looking for a ray of hope that I will not be like this for my kids..Any ideas?

Is there any chance science advances will come in our lifetime?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Comfort

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20407 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry.

I see two most likely possible factors: increasing life spans and environmental factors. But I know of no study definitively identifying the causes.

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
*hugs*

I shepherded my mother through many years of declining memory. it's really hard to say when it started. I was seeing her several times a week, so I didn't notice the changes so much. After she died I called Eloise, an old friend of hers, to share the news. Eloise said it was obvious to her that my mother was fading -- they talked on the phone three or four times a year.

I knew it was serious when I found that my mother had not balanced her checkbook in two years. That was not her. She balanced it to the penny every month (and taught me how when I was about 12). In fact, she hadn't even recorded a check in a year... fortunately, she had the carbon-copy style checks so I was able to get it up to date.

Yeah. If I start to go doololly, I'm hoping for a bus in my path, too.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cried thru the entire performance

That is something that I think needs a trigger warning!

Since my father passed away from pancreatic cancer, I carefully avoid any cancel-related stories/movies etc. And, for example, I'm not going to be reading about Alex Trebek any time soon either. Today is the second anniversary of my father's death. Dealing with it does indeed get "easier" but it doesn't get better. I would be livid if I found myself in a play no knowing that would be the topic. Well, I mean, I think I would just leave the theater....

On the topic of dementia, BL, you have my sympathies! It's just really, really hard.

Have you been reading about the importance of walking and exercise? I suspect you are already pretty active, but it seems clear that the benefits of movement, activity, exercise are very important.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18305 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
It is hard. So sad.
I am also dealing with it in the family.
I already have short term memory loss as well.

the reason why might be to our aging longer? My dad died at 56. My mom about 60.

Hugs

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
my great-gran had it. I'm not sure its more prevalent, I think it used to be just expected with age.

Either way, its awful.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
I cried thru the entire performance

That is something that I think needs a trigger warning!

Thank you for this...This is my first 'trigger warning' experience...The theater is small and welcoming to us subscribers...Your comment Shiro, has me encouraged to talk to them about future performances.

It would in no way keep me away but prepare me, and others, for the emotions for which I was not in any way prepared.

A year or so ago, the city held a public viewing of "First They Killed My Father" a documentary about the war in Cambodia (My city is the 2nd largest Cambodian population outside the country)...There were many warnings, mental health professionals and translators (with tissue boxes) on hand at the screening....Now I see the value in prepping the audience.

Thanks!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post