well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hatch Chilis are Here!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hatch Chilis are Here!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
‘tis the season and my local Vons (Kroger) has a huge display! 5# bags for $5. Big beautiful chilis.

Have you tried Hatch chilis? I not sure how much distribution they have. They grow only in a narrow climate band in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado and it appears they all ripen at once. We can only get them for about two weeks each year.

Best salsa and Pico de Gallo ever, even in jars. Remarkable in rice, in stews, in eggs. More flavor than a jalapeño and not as hot. Slightly hotter than a green bell pepper and just as sweet. They make the best cheese stuffed bacon wrapped poppers you will ever eat.

Check ‘em out! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm currently in the land of Chili, but we'll be back in Virginia by the time the Hatch Chile Festival takes place two weeks from now. There is more to New Mexico Chili than that particular cultivar that was developed in the 1890s. Each pueblo in New Mexico has it's own heritage chili that they have grown since time immemorial. One of these days I want to sit down and try all of these different chilis (Acoma, Zia, Isleta, Taos, etc) along side the usual Hatch variety (which is grown in more places than just the Hatch valley).

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We're seeing them promoted here, so they seem to be an Oklahoma thing, too. I had never heard of them before.

We'll try to grab some before they're gone and try them out!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Whenever I drive from home to Tucson or the reverse I go through Hatch, New Mexico.
I stop at the Valley Cafe and have at least one Relleno, usually as part of a combo plate.
In season, shops have ristras of the mature, smoked red chilis.
I asked for chili Rellenos while in Mexico years ago. They did not know what I was talking about.
Back in the US, a native told me that Chili Rellenos are a New Mexico dish.
Now Mexican restaurants in Colorado serve Rellenos in soft or crispy form.
I don't buy ristras because I don't often cook a pot of anything.
Ok, I will now quit being more "Hatch" than thou.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't see them here. Maybe I need to go to a fancy food store in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13810 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm getting jealous and homesick just reading this thread. Hatch chiles are the best, New Mexico style Mexican is my favorite of the Mexican food types.

This time of year and later, you can smell the chiles roasting outside. Later, it's the smell of pinon smoke. Sob.

Our local grocery has had a Hatch chile festival in the past, where they've roasted the chiles out in the parking lot. Yummmmm. Hopefully they'll do it again.

You can buy them canned, online. They're not bad.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
the usual Hatch variety (which is grown in more places than just the Hatch valley).

Oh? I'll see if I can grow them here! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Trader Joe's has a Hatch chili cheese. I don't know if it tastes much like Hatch chilis (I've never had one), but it's a decent cheese. Sort of a combo of a Swiss-type cheese and a Havarti, nutty-ish flavor but slightly creamy texture.

https://beehivecheese.com/prod...ed-butte-hatch-chile

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That cheese looks awesome.

I decided to wait until another year to try Hatch chiles. Quirt pointed out that my banana pepper plants, both sweet and hot, are producing more than I can eat.

We're thinking of getting a smoker, so smoking peppers could be an interesting option. Hmmm...

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
That cheese looks awesome.

I decided to wait until another year to try Hatch chiles. Quirt pointed out that my banana pepper plants, both sweet and hot, are producing more than I can eat.

We're thinking of getting a smoker, so smoking peppers could be an interesting option. Hmmm...

Stuff with cheese, wrap with bacon, then smoke.

Fantastic! ThumbsUp

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hatch chilis at Costco.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Did you buy a jar? Yummy

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

What kind of smoker are you considering?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Did you buy a jar? Yummy

I didn't. It's a really big jar and the label says it should be used within 3 weeks of being opened. I wasn't sure I could come anywhere close to eating all of it.

Are you telling me I should reconsider? Ole

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Buy a jar. You will be surprised at how fast it goes.
Your supermarket may have smaller jars.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post