well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The cellphone of the Monsignor who wanted to deny Communion to Biden...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The cellphone of the Monsignor who wanted to deny Communion to Biden...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Same old same old, but it's still important to publicly shame the hypocrites.

So Biden isn't in danger of losing Communion rights

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Grindr is not a dating app.
Grindr is an app for finding sex partners.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Not to defend the Monsignor, but who exactly tracked his cellphone signals and how? That should be of more concern. To all of us.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yup.

quote:
Pillar has not explained how it accessed Burrill’s location data except to say that it “was obtained from a data vendor and authenticated by an independent data consulting firm contracted by The Pillar.” The news site did not identify the vendor or say whether it paid for the information.

Grindr, which was fined $11.7 million in January by Norwegian officials for sharing details about its users with advertising companies, initially denied it was even possible for such data to become public, saying in a statement that the incident was “infeasible from a technical standpoint and incredibly unlikely to occur." Grindr updated its statement on Wednesday to say, “We do not believe Grindr is the source of the data” and claimed the “pieces simply do not add up.”

But experts on data privacy say it is completely plausible to buy anonymous location data from third-party data brokers and use additional information like a person’s home and work address to de-anonymize it.

“This data that’s collected today could be used against us in ways that we can’t even imagine,” said Patrick Jackson, chief technology officer of the privacy-protection firm Disconnect. “A year from now, five years from now, 10 years from now.”

Apps still regularly share data including location histories and demographic information with data brokers and marketing companies, claiming that it isn’t tied to any one person’s identity. Privacy experts have long warned that those protections are flimsy at best, but until now there hasn’t been a public example of someone weaponizing an individual’s cellphone data in this way.

“If there’s a silver lining here, it’s that this is exactly what we’ve been warning about and it shows just how easy this is to do,” said Bennett Cyphers, a researcher with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. “If it can happen to this guy, it can happen to anyone.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com...ial-grindr-reaction/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37930 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's stuff like this from The Pillar that really bothered me:

quote:
Berg told The Pillar that “according to canon law and the Church’s tradition, clerics are obliged to observe ‘perfect and perpetual continence,’ as a reflection of what should be our lived pursuit of our spousal relationship with the Church and with Christ.”

Calling it “obviously a scandal” that a cleric would use location-based hookup apps, Berg said there is “a real disconnect between the appearance of a man who presumably is earnestly striving to live the life of chastity, when it becomes glaringly evident that he is dramatically failing at that because he’s gone to hookup apps to look actively for sexual partners — that itself is an enormous scandal.”

In his experience in formation and religious life, Berg said that “when it becomes evident that a cleric is regularly and glaringly failing to live continence,” that can become “only a step away from sexual predation.”

https://www.pillarcatholic.com...igates-usccb-gen-sec

An op-ed that reflects my reaction when I saw the story.

https://www.ncronline.org/news...-homophobic-innuendo

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37930 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Remember when a big shot sleazy journalist. managed to somehow tap Prince Charles'romantic cell phone talks with his then-mistress? Something about tampon envy.

That was decades ago. How DID they manage to pull that off?

What's more, China is reportedly not only able to tap phones but to somehow learn whether their citizens are dissatisfied, etc. Black Mirror-worthy.

It couldn't be a coincidence that Google worked extensively with the Chinese government on the hi tech invasive methods. We know they stopped with the "Don't be Evil" ages ago, but with those Chinese contracts, they not only made a bundle but accomplished valuable research the US government could use for privacy invasion.

Win-win for them.

Didn't the US. govt itself force them to. drop that collaboration?

All told, it doesn't seem the present phone invasion of privacy, need necessarily be considered brand new.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Say, any of you find you're receiving long fine-print contracts from big corporations outlining their present privacy rules and regs (for anyone with nothing better to do than read them)? I'm even getting them from relatively small scale operations - e.g., one of our local medical corporations.

Sure, that's not an innovation, but now there's a real flood of them. What's with that?

For the record: America's data harvesting industry

(Have any of you followed the horrifying you-tube video about Jeff Bezos? After analyzing how he got where he is, the final message is that he's now continuing his power growth way beyond Amazon - and entirely because of the power he's amassed from....DATA! Gave me shivers. One of those things we see in the rear-view mirror. as patently clear - but to which we're blind at the time. The newest path to Caesarhood.)

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
About. Google helping China use AI and other methods for surveillance

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I forget people use their phones to meet others for anonymous sex almost as soon as I'm reminded.

Can you imagine the tradegies this could invite?

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Say, any of you find you're receiving long fine-print contracts from big corporations outlining their present privacy rules and regs (for anyone with nothing better to do than read them)? I'm even getting them from relatively small scale operations - e.g., one of our local medical corporations.

Sure, that's not an innovation, but now there's a real flood of them. What's with that?

For the record: America's data harvesting industry

(Have any of you followed the horrifying you-tube video about Jeff Bezos? After analyzing how he got where he is, the final message is that he's now continuing his power growth way beyond Amazon - and entirely because of the power he's amassed from....DATA! Gave me shivers. One of those things we see in the rear-view mirror. as patently clear - but to which we're blind at the time. The newest path to Caesarhood.)

My favorite are the "contracts" that change once a month. You can "agree" or pound sound. How far do you have to stray from "idealism" for words to have agreed upon definitions?

I might return to this thread and read about Bezos. Then again I might not. He, Musk, and Branson annoy me.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post