well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    "I can see the coast of Florida"

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I can see the coast of Florida"
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
An air traffic controller successfully guided a passenger on a private plane to land safely at Palm Beach International Airport after the pilot was incoherent during the flight Tuesday.

The incident happened at about 12:30 p.m. with a single-engine plane, according to the FAA.

Two people were on board at the time of the landing. One person was taken to a hospital, according to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue. Their conditions are unclear at this time.

"I've got a serious situation here," the passenger said to traffic control from the cockpit. "My pilot's gone incoherent. I have no idea how to fly the airplane..."

When asked where the plane was, the passenger responded, "I have no idea. I can see the coast of Florida in front of me and I have no idea."

Video of the plane landing here:

https://www.wpbf.com/article/f...ivate-plane/39957179

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Holy carp.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20410 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker HairRaising Eeker

That is absolutely terrifying!

They don't say how long it took to get the passenger oriented and then guided into land, but wow. I cannot imagine.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18311 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Now I know why I took flying lessons as a kid.
Those kids that go into the cockpit will be thankful when I save the plane someday.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25674 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Good job!

A turbine powered Caravan is actually not too bad. It would have been a tad harder in a large piston plane.

They probably gave him the longest runway around, probably 14,000 feet or so. Might be the one under which marred-lago lies.

A Caravan is big for a single-engine plane, but it’s pretty docile and if you keep the speed about right it’s not too hard to land.

Or you can engage the Otto pi…

…oh, never mind.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The air traffic controller who helped him fly and land the plane.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/a...t-emergency/39961555

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Or you can engage the Otto pi…

…oh, never mind.

Friends that moved to my small hometown in Missouri named their Schnauzer Otto. The locals wondered why they give a dog a name that was what a car is called.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25674 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interview with the guy who landed the plane.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...lane-pilot-rcna28882

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Harrison climbed over three rows of seats into the cockpit as the plane was in a nosedive and moved the unconscious pilot out of the way so Harrison could put on the headphone and alert air traffic control to the situation.

OMG! I didn't catch this detail in earlier reporting. That's just terrifying.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18311 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pilot who fell unconscious last week during a flight landed by a passenger with no idea how to fly a plane has made a recovery that his doctor is calling “a miracle.”

The ability of passenger Darren Harrison, 39, to successfully land a Cessna 208 that was in a nosedive over Florida not only saved all three people on board from crashing, but it also gave doctors a chance to save the pilot.

Harrison landed the plane at Palm Beach International Airport, where emergency personnel then rushed the pilot to St. Mary’s Medical Center before he was transferred to Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center.

The pilot, whose name has not been released, is now out of the hospital and resting at home after he underwent surgery for an aortic dissection, according to the hospital. An aortic dissection is a life-threatening emergency in which a tear occurs in the inner layer of the body’s main artery.

Dr. Nishant Patel, a cardiothoracic surgeon at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center who treated the pilot, outlined how long the odds were that the man would survive the landing, the trips to the two hospitals and then the surgery.

“Fifty percent of patients won’t make it to the hospital, and then 50 percent of patients that do make it to the hospital will pass away within 24 hours without prompt diagnosis and treatment,” Patel said on "TODAY" Tuesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...e-hospital-rcna29177

Bazootiehead-in-training