well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Texas Pete's Pepper Sauce

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Pete's Pepper Sauce
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I received a jar of this as a gift. It's little tabasco peppers soaking in vinegar. It has a shaker top so I think the idea is to shake out the vinegar like a hot sauce.

But the vinegar tastes like vinegar - no heat. Should I smash up some of the peppers? How do people normally use this stuff?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it, so I looked up some reviews.

quote:
My grandmother -- an old-school Southern cook -- would not be caught DEAD without TPPS on her table. Collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, crayon greens -- if it was green, she'd eat it, after dousing it with Texas Pete.

Sure, with the number of peppers in the jar, you run out of vinegar quickly. So, put some more in, goober! White vinegar, red vinegar, rice vinegar -- it's all good.

Shrug

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It's not often that you can stump the Google, but "crayon greens" does it.

Anybody know what crayon greens are?

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Shrug

I will say the peppers are good in a martini next to the olives. ThumbsUp

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I never quite understood these. My impulse would be to eat the pickled peppers as a condiment and treat the vinegar as just something they need to sit in.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13776 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I’m aware of the brand, but if the vinegar doesn’t take the heat I don’t see the point.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13520 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I’m aware of the brand, but if the vinegar doesn’t take the heat I don’t see the point.

It’s possible that it takes the heat, just not enough for me to notice.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Pepper sauce like Texas Pete’’s is a standard accompaniment for greens where I’m from. It’s not supposed to be particularly hot. That’s why God gave us Tabasco sauce (or Louisiana Gold or Crystal...). It’s just flavored vinegar.

Some people use it on fried fish, too. I just use it on greens.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
MA, do you have an answer about crayon greens? Or was that just a joke about the grandmother using the pepper sauce on anything.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of crayon greens.

I think it was meant to be a joke, but it would have been more effective if it had been written s "green crayons."

Shrug

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post