well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Goodbye Honda CRV
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodbye Honda CRV
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
1999 88k miles. One owner. Started to suffer from the common water leak issue into the passenger and driver foot wells. On the highway, in the rain, your feet get wet. This should be a recall but it is not. It is a major design flaw and not caused by rust. The car was garaged most of the past 21 years.

Youngest is detailing it now. We are off to the local Subaru dealer to pick up a 2021 Crosstek Sport, in Black with Gray interior.

If they offer us anywhere close to 2.5k trade the Honda will be gone today. If not, we will sell the Honda outright.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the highway, in the rain, your feet get wet.

Wow, that would be extremely annoying!

quote:
The car was garaged most of the past 21 years.

What does that mean, that you kept in a garage habitually? (rather than, it was in the garage and not driven)

Anyway, good luck with your new car purchase!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

quote:
The car was garaged most of the past 21 years.

What does that mean, that you kept in a garage habitually? (rather than, it was in the garage and not driven)

Anyway, good luck with your new car purchase!!

Yes and yes. 88,000 miles over 21 years with half of them put on the car over the past 5 years.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My son is driving a CRV he bought about fifteen years ago. He hasn't mentioned the leak issue and I hope I'm not jinxing him. He drives through some ferocious Florida thunderstorms, so I think he'd have mentioned it.

The paint job has kinda given up the ghost and he's had to aftermarket his way through at least two music technologies, but it gets the job done and he loves not having a car payment. It has been a great car for him.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The CR-V hybrid is on our short list for when we replace our ancient RX400h. However, the Lexus just keeps chugging along, so....?

Also, I did look at the Crosstrek hybrid. I really liked the car but they did such a stupid thing by adding the totally useless plug-in option. It took up all the storage space, and gives you < 20 miles on all-electric. My daughter has a 2014 Crosstrek and loves it.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Very impressed with this car. It's quiet, smooth and compliant. Filled with the latest tech and has more "tech safety features" than any other car in its class and price point.

Excellent road feel and effortless driving. Very comfortable seats which are all manually operated. Nothing to break there!

The lane holding feature and adaptive cruise control is absolutely incredible, and is without a doubt, a life saving feature. I tested it out on I-90 for about 12 miles. It just follows the road like it's on auto-pilot. It keeps perfect distance between you and the traffic ahead. I seriously drove almost 12 miles with the cruise control set to 72 mph and never touched the wheel or the pedals except to silence the alarm that told me to put my hands on the steering wheel. lol It followed every curve perfectly.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
many happy miles to you, markj!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I drove a new Forester a couple years ago. The lane departure and adaptive cruise control were nice, but as I recall on that car, every time you started it, the settings for those went back to a default. I never figured out if or how one can keep the settings from one cycle to the next.

By the way, I looked at a Honda Element around the second year they were out (2002?). I found it very nervous and bouncy. After driving three of them that were all similar, I drove the CR-V. I also found it nervous and bouncy. Both the Element and CR-V are based on the Civic, but with a taller body. I never drove a contemporaneous Civic to see if it was similar. I decided it would not be a good car for me for commuting. That's when I ended up buying the Mercedes E320 Waggin. It got pretty poor mileage, absolutely required premium gas, and went through tires. But oh, my goodness was it a nice car to drive. And could carry twice the payload and twice the number of passengers as the Element.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very impressed with this car.

Nice!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18320 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Glad you're enjoying it! Subarus are great cars for bad weather states.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have deliberately tried to get my Outback stuck in snow. Hasn't happened.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
The Crosstrek is a blast to drive. Can't wait to take it off road. It is the most capable off-road vehicle in the class, and beyond.

This is a good review of it's off-road capabilities.

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
Very impressed with this car. It's quiet, smooth and compliant.

Honda CRV: It could be the car’s heater or a water hose that connects to the heater box is leaking water. If it happens only when it rains though, it’s probably something else and not the heater.

Subaru Crosstrek: It’s good to hear the Crosstrek is quieter now. I test drove a 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek back when the vehicle was first introduced by Subaru. It was called the “XV Crosstrek” back then and then later renamed to just “Crosstrek”. The 2013 model was very noisy to drive. Not all the time, only when accelerating. It was because of the way CVT transmissions work. It’s not the CVT transm. itself that’s noisy. It’s the engine because of the CVT. You couldn’t carry on a conversation because of the loudness. Needless to say I didn’t buy it.

Another thing you’re going to have to get used to is AS&S (Automatic Stop and Start). To save gas, the engine stops when you come to a stop and when you step on the accelerator pedal, the engine automatically starts back up again. I think you can turn it off but it’s not permanent. Turning off AS&S lasts for only one ignition start cycle.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Mr pique has a 2006 CRV with maybe 150k miles on it. That thing is as reliable as the day is long. No leaking issues ever. We did have to replace a fan recently. That's the only repair it has needed since we bought it 80k miles ago. The only thing I don't like about it is the seats. I have never been comfortable sitting in any Honda.

I miss my Forester but the headgasket issue made me sell it. We are going to look into a newer RAV4 or Highlander hybrid.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I read that it only affects units up to the 2005 model year.

Please don't take our saying goodbye to the CRV as a slam on the car. It was and will continue to be a decent car once it gets this issue fixed. I will take a hard look at the possibility of actually fixing it before I sell it but that is highly unlikely. It's worth taking $500 or more less for the car than I would otherwise. It can be fixed and this car will probably be on the road for another 20 years. I just don't want to deal with the age and lack of safety standards that have evolved significantly over the past 21 years.