well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Pyrex Controversy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Pyrex Controversy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Why it shatters

And a bit of news:

quote:
Pyrex made headlines recently, because its parent company made a big move. Corelle Brands, parent company of Pyrex among others, is planning to merge with Instant Brands, maker of the very popular Instant Pot.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Interesting read, though I didn't get through all of it.

All our Pyrex is vintage, some actually bought at Corning, NY years & years ago.

There's a glass museum there which is a very interesting place to visit.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Interesting (to the degree I could follow it) but I admit to being multiples more interested in the mystery of Corelle Wear.

Seems they last almost forever, and that age and landing at what must be JUST the right (=wrong) angle is what finally makes them shatter and in that pecular pattern of slivers and large pieces.

(Had no idea they were made by the same company.)

Irritated (but only slightly because they're so great) by the heavy mugs they stick in with the sets. They're an altogether different (uglier) material.

Also (somewhat more) irritated by the outrageous prices they charge for individual pieces when you need spares because of breakage over time.

Definitely, a notable exception to the scandal of planned obsolescence in American industry.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I read about the Pyrex borosilicate issue a while ago. We have a lot of the newer stuff, because I dislike keeping food in plastic (especially tomato-based sauces). We've never had a shattering problem.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Same here. I prefer glass storage as well. I've never had a pyrex container shatter, though my stuff is pretty old.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Also (somewhat more) irritated by the outrageous prices they charge for individual pieces when you need spares because of breakage over time.

Corelle shows in thrift stores fairly regularly, and is often found at estate sales.

Old Pyrex, too. Seems everyone has at least one or two pieces.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
How nice. An all-American story. Switch to cheaper materials, raise prices, merge with other companies, rake in $$, deny culpability.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Same here. I prefer glass storage as well. I've never had a pyrex container shatter, though my stuff is pretty old.

MS took a pie from the oven and put it on the granite counter. Which we do all the time.

It exploded.

She wasn’t hurt, but we are still finding bits of glass months later.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

Corelle shows in thrift stores fairly regularly, and is often found at estate sales.

Old Pyrex, too. Seems everyone has at least one or two pieces.

If I stop by the local Thrift Shop I'll take a look. Problem comes when you just need one dish of a certain size you happen to be running low on (you know, like how with silverware teaspoons disappear). What's why it's so irritating when you see them charging at least $5 for it when the whole set of 24 or so cost $20 to start, maybe $30 now.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
How nice. An all-American story. Switch to cheaper materials, raise prices, merge with other companies, rake in $$, deny culpability.

Here's a random complaint. I had to replace a pyrex 2-cup measuring cup. The new one has a rubberized ring on the bottom. This is just fab on a dry counter, but on a wet smooth surface (like granite or quartz) it is like a skater on ice. There have been multiple times I've caught the little bugger just a second before it was ready to slide off the counter and onto the floor. Someone should have figured that out.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting (to the degree I could follow it) but I admit to being multiples more interested in the mystery of Corelle Wear.

Seems they last almost forever, and that age and landing at what must be JUST the right (=wrong) angle is what finally makes them shatter and in that pecular pattern of slivers and large pieces.

(Had no idea they were made by the same company.)

Irritated (but only slightly because they're so great) by the heavy mugs they stick in with the sets. They're an altogether different (uglier) material.

Definitely, a notable exception to the scandal of planned obsolescence in American industry.

They used to have tea cups and matching saucers but moved to cheap ceramic mugs. What? Nobody knew what coffee was until ceramic mugs? VeryAngry

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post