well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Knives Out (movie, 2019)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knives Out (movie, 2019)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Very good movie. Started out like it's going to be one of those British detective movie where, after a death has been reported, working with the police, a world famous detective gathers a house full of suspects and interviews them in turn, teasing out all sorts of family secrets and feuds and tensions. Then it becomes different! Different than that type of movie in a very creative, very engaging, and very intriguing way with brilliant plot twists.

Overall very well executed. Character development, directing, acting, plot, originality, story telling, morality/irony, exploration of human nature/weaknesses, they are all there and all very well done. First it makes you feel like you're watching a Christie/Poirot type movie (but without feeling "slow"), then it throws you onto an unexpected trajectory. Highly recommended. Not counting the superhero/supervillain stuff, this is probably my 2nd favorite movie (right after "Parasite") of the year.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12683 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You know, I'm not a movie goer at all. But Ax's reviews have been really great -- they have me thinking about going to a movie theater for the first time in years...

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37809 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I saw it twice ... first with Mary Anna and then with Rebecca and her boyfriend. Even though I'd already seen it and knew the plot twists, it was fun the second time, too.

Posts: 45728 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thanhs, Ax
May go when my cold is better.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25681 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We watched it last weekend and I enjoyed it a lot. It's a fun movie and I far prefer it to the "blockbuster" variety that tend to come out. You can take the entire family with no worries except maybe that sullen teenager who should just be left at home with a cell phone. Big Grin

Posts: 35368 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am not a movie goer much but this and Little Women on are my holiday time off list.

Not sure I can get my sis to go to Little Women but she might go for Knives Out!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Saw it over the holiday with Mom and Sis.

A bit slow on the set up, but once it got all in a room, the fun began.

Lots of fun twists and turns that you think you see coming, but then they shift again.

Not a great film, but a great, fun, movie.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I also liked it.

Fell asleep in Little Women.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post