well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Health insurance scammers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health insurance scammers
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Health insurers are regarded as fierce defenders of health care dollars. But the case of David Williams shows one reason America’s health care costs continue to rise. The personal trainer spent years posing as a doctor and billing the nation’s top insurers, making off with millions.

https://www.propublica.org/art...illions-who-pays-you

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37834 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Not surprising. Worried about corruption in a single-payer system? Take a look at the private system.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25689 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I have a relative that works in a business supporting heathcare software. He says that the folks that enter your billing data are barely high school graduates, and the error rate is extreme. But who of us would know enough to catch that? What I see from my insurance about coverage can list doctors I've never heard of (in the case of lab procedures, etc.), services that were rendered for procedures that happened 6 months ago, etc., etc. I'm not particularly stupid, but no way could I audit my health insurance receipts unless I made it a full-time job with spreadsheets, dates, diagnostic codes, etc.

The system is insane.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
In a recent instance, the insurance company denied a claim, so I called the doctor's office to pay it.

The accounting person in the doctor's office told me NOT to pay the doctor's bill. She said, call the insurance company back, and give them this particular speech, using these particular phrases. They'll review the claim and reverse the denial, although it may take a few weeks. I asked if she wanted me to pay and then send me a check once the payment was processed, and she said no, it was easier just to wait for the insurance company to pay, and she was confident they would.

It reminded me of that scene from The Incredibles.

Lo and behold ...

Posts: 45729 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post