well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Can't sleep? Tell yourself it's not a big deal

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't sleep? Tell yourself it's not a big deal
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Note to publishers: in my view, there’s an unfilled gap in the “wellness” market for a book on how sleep isn’t really that important. In contrast to the message relentlessly promoted by lifestyle gurus these days, this book would argue that four hours a night is probably fine, that caffeine before bed is no big deal, and that even severe sleep deprivation poses no real risk of poor performance, health troubles or early death. Admittedly, this might raise certain ethical issues, since that’s not what the science says. But you know what? Unlike all those other books, this one would help people sleep. Because take it from an intermittent bad sleeper: there’s nothing more likely to keep an insomniac up at night, or turn a good sleeper into an insomniac, than being told it’s completely essential they drift off.

Actually, the ironies of insomnia are even worse than that, because there’s growing evidence that thinking of yourself as an insomniac – having an “insomnia identity”, in the coinage of the sleep researcher Kenneth Lichstein – is a major part of the problem. It’s not just that such a self-image makes it harder to sleep, though doubtless that’s the case. It’s that having an insomnia identity makes life terrible even if, in reality, you’re getting sufficient sleep. In a review of the research published last year, Lichstein concluded that “non-complaining poor sleepers” – who sleep badly but don’t define themselves as insomniacs – don’t suffer the high blood pressure commonly associated with severe sleeplessness. Meanwhile, “complaining good sleepers” – who get enough shut-eye, but are heavily invested in their alleged insomnia – were essentially as tired, anxious and depressed as those who genuinely didn’t sleep.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...-it-s-not-a-big-deal

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37767 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I think anticipating it makes it that much harder to fall asleep, yes. But there are relaxation exercises and visualization for that. Plus doxylamine. I find about 3-6 mg of that and I sleep all night.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13521 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Mik,

Doxylamine? I'm not familiar with it. Does it have possible negative side effects?

Daniel, wondering about "sleep driving" associated with Ambian

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post