well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's the latest view on usage-based car insurance (drive monitoring apps)?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the latest view on usage-based car insurance (drive monitoring apps)?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I seem to remember this came up here in the past, the apps that car insurance companies try to get you to install on your phone, with a device in the car, that monitors your driving and if it deems you a safe driver, they give you a discount.

As I recall, at the time, the arguments for not doing this were: 1) privacy concerns, and 2) how the apps (arbitrarily?) determine what counts as "safe driving," with the concern being that slamming on the breaks or driving a little over the speed limit will result in higher insurance rates.

At that time, I decided I wouldn't try this device. Well, now my mother wants to know if she should. My take is no, it's probably not worth it.

But maybe it's changed or improved? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Our insurance company offered it as an option, but thought we were likely to benefit from it. We got it all set up about a month before the lockdown (so about a year ago). Oh yes, we definitely have benefitted! We don't drive anywhere now. LOL

I estimate we've saved about $1200/yr with 2 cars, a 15 yo Lexus SUV with ~165K, and a 5 yo Nissan Leaf with about 5K. Yes, we don't drive anywhere, really.

I know that people are kind of creeped out about people knowing your driving patterns and behavior, but frankly I just don't care. With all the cameras around, it's not like we're all driving around incognito now.

It does monitor driving behavior, but it's not on a hair trigger. On our app you get a grade based on the # of "events" that occurred: speeding, hard braking are the big ones. It's rare that we have a non-event drive but we are consistently rated in the 85-95% category. I think you'd have to be a consistently crappy drive to have it hit your insurance. Our insurance company offered it to us on a trial basis, but we kept it going.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I estimate we've saved about $1200/yr

Eeker

So, may I ask what company? My mother's is State Farm.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Also State Farm - and I just realized that it's actually 3 cars, since my daughter's car is on our policy as well. So add a 2014 Subie Crosstrek to the mix.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post