well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
It has been a while since we had this thread..

My latest are

Meh...I only took it on as George Clooney is making a movie of it, some scenes just across the street from me...Who knows..You may get a glimpse of my Little Red House in the final film due in January on Amazon Prime. This is not worth it...my neighbor and I are wondering how Hollywood thought it was a good idea... Shrug

Better to come..

Heart breaking, frustrating..and astonishing..Hard to put down and a good discussion on mental illness.

My current read..I cannot wait for a moment or two to take it in...wonderful...Weirdly I lived in LA at this very time that the book takes place and have no memory of it..could be we were buying a house, planning a wedding and just out of it..Or Chernobyl news over took it.

What are you reading?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I´m currently re-reading Mr Midshipman Hornblower and quite enjoying it.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like the Hornblower series.

Reading Jake Tapper's The Hellfire Club. Only two chapters in and I like it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Lea Prevel Katsanis, Global Issues in Pharmaceutical Marketing

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I just read “Crying in H Mart” by Michelle Zauner. Food, love, bi-racial identity, life, death, grief...it was a good read. Zauner is half Korean, half Caucasian. Growing up in Eugene, Oregon had to be weird.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Bill Bryson, “Made in America”. History, language, and the history of American language.

I really like it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Alas, all I'm reading right now are student papers, professional literature, and data sources ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I am also reading Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching by Galamian. It is a landmark among violin books. It is less exciting than music theory books. Hope I can force myself to finish it.

If I spent as much time practicing and reading books like that as I do wasting time on related forums I might be a decent player.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading all of Tana French.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Bill Bryson, “Made in America”. History, language, and the history of American language.

I really like it.

I've enjoyed all his books.

Jack - in a Tana French mode right now! I'm only about 1/3 of the way through her first, and really enjoying it.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I just finished the Obesity Code. I've made some changes to my diet as a result and have lost 20 lbs in a relatively short amount of time. It provides a compelling history of nutrition in our country along with some decent information on research in the area.

Best thing I've read in the past few years is Sapiens and pretty much everything by Yuval Noah Harari.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Just finished reading EDUCATED by Tara Westover. A memoir about how she went from growing up the daughter of Mormon fundamentalists who kept her out of school and away from doctors, to getting her doctorate at Cambridge and doing a fellowship at Harvard. She approached understanding her own upbringing like a scholar. The stories of the abuse she suffered are harrowing. How she went about freeing her own mind is instructive for anyone who grew up in a dysfunctional family.

I cried at the end. It is a powerful book.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
I just finished the Obesity Code. I've made some changes to my diet as a result and have lost 20 lbs in a relatively short amount of time. It provides a compelling history of nutrition in our country along with some decent information on research in the area.

I'm going to look for that. Would love to lose 15.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just finished the Obesity Code. I've made some changes to my diet as a result and have lost 20 lbs in a relatively short amount of time.

Klurrs, were the dietary changes difficult to make or something where you have to completely change your approach to food prepare?

IOW, it is something I could do without changing my whole life??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:

I read Obesity Code and just started Fast. Feast. Repeat., another book on intermittent/alternate day fasting.

On The House, John Boehner.

And sort of juggling my way through a bunch of others as they become available from my library:

Ten Lessons for a Post-Pandemic World, Fareed Zakaria.

How to Avoid a Climate Disaster, Bill Gates.

Remember, Lisa Genova.

Why We're Polarized, Ezra Klein

Keep Sharp, Sanjay Gupta.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post