well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Nomadland". Reminded me of "Nickle and Dimed"

I have a more dense, academic book I take in small chunks...very local The Paddy Camps: the Irish in Lowell I have learned lots about the attitude and "management" of the local Irish immigrants here. As well as the early public education system (Lowell had the first integrated school in the US in 1843)..Ironically, the Irish are now the old boys club here... My neighbor hood is a good example. Shrug

The story is much the same now regarding immigrants...Some things never change... Frowner

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This will be my next read, although I haven’t read much of anything lately:

https://www.amazon.com/Redempt...177164527X/ref=nodl_

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Just finished "Nomadland". Reminded me of "Nickle and Dimed"

I have a more dense, academic book I take in small chunks...very local The Paddy Camps: the Irish in Lowell I have learned lots about the attitude and "management" of the local Irish immigrants here. As well as the early public education system (Lowell had the first integrated school in the US in 1843)..Ironically, the Irish are now the old boys club here... My neighbor hood is a good example. Shrug

The story is much the same now regarding immigrants...Some things never change... Frowner

I loved Nomadland; I enjoyed the book much more than the film.

Currently reading “If It Bleeds,” a collection of short stories by Stephen King.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Reading Middlemarch by Mary Ann Evans — aka George Eliot.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I keep meaning to read Nomadland. It has resonance for me because my son spent some years living in a van. Saw the movie and liked it, but really need to read the book for comparison…both to the movie and his lived experience.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13778 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I keep meaning to read Nomadland. It has resonance for me because my son spent some years living in a van. Saw the movie and liked it, but really need to read the book for comparison…both to the movie and his lived experience.

Message me your address, and I will send you my copy!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
My latest is "The Fabric of Civilization: How Textiles Made the World"

Much of it I already know after years of textile crafting..But it is nice to see it all in print in one place.

And has me wanting to reread an old fav "The Perfect Red" by Amy Butler Greenfield..One of all time fav non fiction reads. Smiler

MillCityGrows.org

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I am currently listening to Barack Obama’s “Dreams From My Father,” and it’s wonderful.

Did I already say that I listened to “Broken Horses,” Brandi Carlile’s memoir? I loved it, and there is bonus music at the end of each chapter, and then grouped together at the end. What a quirky, interesting life!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Choice, by Dr Edith Eger.

quote:
Internationally acclaimed psychologist Dr. Edith Eger—one of the last remaining Holocaust survivors—tells her unforgettable story in this moving testament to the resilience of the human spirit and the power of choice in our lives.

At the age of sixteen, Edith Eger, a trained ballet dancer and gymnast, was sent to Auschwitz. Hours after her parents were sent to the gas chamber, the “Angel of Death,” Nazi officer Dr. Josef Mengele, forced Edie to dance for his amusement—and her survival. He rewarded her with a loaf of bread that she shared with her fellow prisoners—an act of generosity that would later save her life.

https://dreditheger.com/the-choice/

A must read for fans of Viktor Frankl.

Turns out Dr Eger and her family came to the US on the same ship (though not the same sailing) that my mom's family did.

USS General R.L. Howze.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not currently reading (it will be released next week) but have it on hold at the library.

The Sisters of Auschwitz

NYT review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...d&variant=0_identity

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“The Life Changing Science of Detecting Bull****“ - John Petrocelli.

It’s excellent!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34838 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:

Much of it I already know after years of textile crafting..But it is nice to see it all in print in one place.

Clearly I am diving back into history here to see this post, but I’m going to check this out! Thanks!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:

Clearly I am diving back into history here to see this post, but I’m going to check this out! Thanks!

Dol, I think you will like it! I knew much of it, but there is other history I had no knowledge of. This is one book I will keep on my shelf. And another of my favs was referenced in it is The Perfect Red: Espionage, and the Quest for the Color of Desire

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have been reading fluff...lately..

But have decided to do travel books...A recent BBC story on a young woman who is recreating past women's adventures has me added to my book list.

As our hiking ladies trip (we tried the US, Utah) has, yet again, been canceled for this year, I am craving adventures..if only in print.

I am THRILLED to say that we have not one, but TWO new indie bookstores in town (one is part time). I am so thrilled..One is open everyday by a former city school teacher and her family...Welcoming, supporters of our work..love, love, love....I have made a pact to buy all my books there. Yes

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
“The Life Changing Science of Detecting Bull****“ - John Petrocelli.

It’s excellent!

The Cliff's Notes video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaOiRRqHNNk

Bazootiehead-in-training